BUG - Unable to set doc library to display in list view for end user by default, reverts to tiles

Copper Contributor

We have a document library which is only useful when it presents in list view to end users by default. We had set it up as we needed it, but a few weeks ago, the view started reverting to tile view no matter what changes we made. Viewers can toggle to list view themselves, but this is not a satisfactory solution and essentially makes this library and multiple pages to which we've added it useless for our users. Screenshots of how the library and pages where we've added it using the doc library web part should and do look are attached.

Since the current solution is unacceptable, and it did used to be possible to set list view as the default, I assume I must be missing something? Any insight on how to fix this frustrating bug appreciated! Thanks in advance :) 

5 Replies

@Kate Beale 

Try following below steps:

1. Select List and All Documents (All Assets in your case) option from view dropdown in command bar.

Document library view.PNG

2. Select Settings/Gear Icon from right top section of page.
  3. Select Library settings option
  4. On library settings page, scroll down to Views section at the bottom of page.
  5. Then select All Documents/Assets view from list of views (or any other view which you want to make default)
  6. Check Make this the default view checkbox 
  7. Click OK

Default view.PNG

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thank you for getting back to me! I followed the steps exactly as your described them, but sadly the library went right back to tile view after I clicked "Ok." :( Do you think that there might be a way to make the list view the default on the site level? We tried that as well, but I'm hoping that we missed something. Thanks in advance!

@Kate Beale 

This is strange!

Try below two suggestions:

1. This might be silly suggestion but try clearing your browser cache and reopening library in new browser window.
  2. Try setting default view using PnP PowerShell, see below reference.

SharePoint Online: Set Default View using PowerShell 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thank you! I tried clearing my cache and still no success, so I've asked an admin to try the powershell command. I'll report back when he does :) Thanks again for you time! 

Sure @Kate Beale 

Keep us updated with the PowerShell results as well as if you try any other method to resolve this issue.

Happy to help!