Home

Bug/issue with modern news thumbnail if team site has header image

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm experiencing a rather strange issue with modern team news. I have this issue on two different O365 tenants. 

When a team site has a header image - the news thumbnail will render the site header image, not an image from the news post. 

This is the news web part - the news item thumbnail is the same image as the site header:

news.PNG

Even though the news item looks like this:

news2.PNG

16 Replies
Highlighted

Hi Edvard,

Could you please provide some more details on this one? Is the site you are seeing this on a classic team site or a modern team site? Do you see the same thumbnail generated for all the news on that site?

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi Alina,

• I think it's a classic team site (there is no O365 group created along with the team site)
  • Yes, all news items get the same thumbnail

If i temporarily remove the header image, post my news item, then reapply the header image. I get the desired result. 

Thanks for reporting this, Edvard! We will look into this.

Highlighted

I have the same issue. The Thumbnail is a bit random.

Do we have any news on this matter?

Highlighted

We cannot specify the thumbnail image,  it is decided for us by Sharepoint - this is a real problem for content managers !!

i.e.  Sharepoint will automatically set the thumbnail image based upon the 'first' custom image it finds in the news article.  So if I use a custom header image it will pick that for the thumbnail too.

This is a real problem because quite often we need to select different images because of the difference in aspect ratio.  i.e. What works at thumbnail ratio doesn't work at super-wide ratio in the header.

SEE example attached - [Thumbnail and header]- it just doesn't work !!

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 13.12.06.pngScreenshot 2018-11-06 at 13.12.28.png

We need to have the ability to set a specific thumbnail image 'independently' of the images used in the new article page.

Highlighted

We cannot specify the thumbnail image in news articles,  it is decided for us by sharepoint - this is a real problem for content managers !!

i.e.  sharepoint will set the thumbnail image to be the same as the 'first' custom image it finds in the news article. This is a real problem because quite often we need to select different images because of the difference in aspect ratio.  eg what works at thumbnail ratio doesn't always work at the super-wide header ratio.

EXAMPLE...

In order for me to use this image for the thumbnail...

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 13.12.06.png 

...I have to use it as the header image in the news article page.

But it simply doesn't work in this ratio format.

Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 13.12.28.png

We need the ability to set a specific thumbnail image independently of the image used in the new article page.

Highlighted

Article.JPG

@Toby Hallam - actually, if you click Page details, you'll see the option in the right pane to select a Thumbnail photo. That photo will appear in the News rollup.

However, I cannot display the image in the CQWP. 

Highlighted

what if you dont see the change image option?? is that a site setting? @Melissa Liston 

Highlighted

Thanks for the pointer @Melissa Liston , however I dont see that option.  'Change Thumbnail' is missing from the the right hand panel.   And in true Microsoft style, one problem leads to another,... Every time I open the 'Page Details' panel the whole page locks up and crashes.

Highlighted

Same thing. Can't change the thumbnail. Is it only for some releases?

Highlighted

@mwfishel, you may need to enable the Publishing feature.  

Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted

@Toby Hallam Have you seen any update on this issue? I was able to change thumbnails earlier this week but now the change button is gone.

Highlighted

@jeremylacey  I have just had the same problem as you; This morning my "change thumbnail" was working, and it has mysteriously disappeared for SOME pages only.

Highlighted

@kiwi-neil I've had this issue recur randomly, and resolve randomly.  From what I can tell, it seems to be related to a Power Automation (formerly known as Flow) that manages our customized Approval workflow.  I contacted Microsoft on this, but they have PA/Flow in a separate team, and they were unable to fix the problem in the original team I was assigned to.  I am guessing that there is something in the Flow that steps on the news articles, because they are also not displaying in date order in the default News page.  Sorry I don't have better news for you.

Related Conversations
Dedicated News Site - Filter News to Team Sites
amelsom2035 in SharePoint on
1 Replies
Where to create Organization Assets Library?
HelenaStarenby in SharePoint on
4 Replies
Bug - owner can't manage tags
Konrad92 in Microsoft Teams on
0 Replies
Voice in Teams Call played on other device
Lennart16 in Microsoft Teams on
1 Replies
We run into a problem. Reconnecting...
Michael_Voronov in Microsoft Teams on
0 Replies