Blank .csv upload to SharePoint issue.

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I have a very simple document library where I am trying to store .csv files that we receive monthly. When I tried to upload some .csv files to test (using real previous months), I found that a number of them would end up being blank once uploaded.

I tried both drag and drop, and upload via the upload button, but I continue to have the same result; I can open the file locally and see the data, I then upload the file to the library, but when I open in app the workbook is blank, and when I attempt to open in browser it just seems to stay in a loading state forever and won't open.

I'm not hugely familiar with the inner workings of the upload process in SP but I'm a bit lost as it seems to be a very basic process I'm trying to do. Could I have messed something up in creating the doc library, or could there be something in the format of the .csv we receive that could cause this behaviour?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

1 Reply

@jaycnz188 

If you are experiencing issues with .csv files becoming blank or not opening correctly after uploading them to a document library in SharePoint Online, there are a few potential reasons and solutions you can explore:

1. File Format: Ensure that the .csv files you are uploading are in the correct format and encoding. Check that the files are saved as comma-separated values and that the data is properly structured with each field separated by a comma. Also, confirm that the encoding of the file is compatible with SharePoint Online, such as UTF-8 or ANSI.

2. File Size Limitations: SharePoint Online has limitations on the maximum file size that can be uploaded. If your .csv files exceed these limits, it may cause issues during the upload process or result in a blank file. Verify that the file size of your .csv files is within the allowed limits.

3. Special Characters or Formatting: Check if the .csv files contain any special characters, unsupported formatting, or formulas that may be causing issues during the upload process. Remove any special characters or unsupported formatting and ensure that the file only contains plain text or values.

4. Column Mapping: When uploading the .csv files, make sure that the column mapping is correctly configured. SharePoint Online attempts to map the columns in the .csv file to the columns in the document library. If there is a mismatch or ambiguity in the column mapping, it could lead to unexpected behavior or blank files. Verify that the column mapping is accurate during the upload process.

5. Test with Different .csv Files: Try uploading different .csv files to the document library to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to certain files or if it's a more general issue.

6. Check SharePoint Online Settings: Review the settings and configurations of your SharePoint Online environment. Ensure that there are no customizations, restrictions, or limitations that could be causing the issue. You may need to consult with your SharePoint administrator or IT support team for assistance in checking the SharePoint settings.