Best Practices to Manage SharePoint Site size

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I feels like SharePoint site size keep on growing even with the most relevant content. I have noticed a file which has grown up to 8 GB with all versions. The most recent version is a little over 100 MB and there are 80 versions in total. It's just one file. There are multiple files like that, that have grown to a tremendous sizes increasing the site size drastically. The site I am currently looking at is almost 2 TB now.

I don't think just increasing the site storage is the correct way of managing them. So, I am wondering what could be the best practices to manage the site sizes.

Thank you.

Bhavpreet Bains

4 Replies

@Bhavpreet Bains 

Managing document versions is often not take care of and this may result in a significant increase in storage consumed.

You have several options:
a. Do nothing and accept the quota consumed by the document versions.
b. Use PowerShell to report on documents with many versions and then run a separate script to delete the document versions. e.g. https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Delete-all-previous-file-fd1ba18a
c. Use 3rd party tools. e.g. there are browser-based tools (with trial licenses) that allow you to purge all document versions or only keep the last N document versions. e.g. SLIM Companion Explorer.

Paul

Hi @Bhavpreet Bains 

Are your troublesome files a particular filetype or is it all files that are showing this growth? 

Andy

Thank you Paul for reply and providing the options.
a. Doing nothing and ignoring, I don't think it's a good option as eventually it's going eat up all the space in the tenant.
b. Running a Powershell Job won't be feasible, as running it for 2 TB site may take a long time complete, let alone running it on multiple sites. Also, with this, the site will always need an admin account to access the content.
c. I think the third party tools will also pose similar issues as powershell solution. However, I will still check them out.

Are there in general best practices that can be applied to site itself on creation to avoid running into some of these issues?

Thank you.
The troublesome files can be any frequently updated files like word, powerpoint or excel depending who uses what. Each time a file gets edited it creates a brand new version with the new file size. E.g. File A which is currently 1 MB was updated with .1MB size increase. So, the new version size is 1.1MB and overall file size increases to 2.1 MB considering the size of both versions.