Best practices for co-authoring Word docs in SharePoint via poor internet connections

Iron Contributor

Hi, 

Does anyone know if there are official recommendations for best practices on co-authoring Word (.docx) files in SharePoint Online? I found a page from 2016 for this question, but doesn't really cover Word co-authoring specifically: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/enterprise/best-practices-for-using-office-365-on-a-slow-...

Mostly, I want to be able to recommend with certainty using the browser or desktop apps to get the best results if you're in a poor network connection. Would like to make sure that users avoid having to reconcile multiple changes that were not saved into the main document because of delays in network connectivity. 

3 Replies

@Bynum Hoekstra 

Hello,

I personally recommend browser but it depends on the environment, is it slower than 1Mbps?

That's what my gut instinct was - but just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a definitive article somewhere out there.
And not 100% sure what the environment is - this is mostly anecdotal evidence that bandwidth is the primary cause of this issue.