Best Practice for Site Collection Storage Size

Steel Contributor

One of my organization's business units is examining the feasibility of SharePoint Online as an alternative solution for photo storage. While I know that SharePoint does a great job of document storage and provides some decent tools for managing images, I'm uncertain how best to architect their solution from a storage limit standpoint. We estimate this business organization would need ~2 TB storage for their images, and while we have well more than that available in our tenant, I'm unsure what will happen if we hit a single site collection with that much content.

Is there a known limit or threshold for a site collection's storage limit, or are there consequences where that much data would noticeably affect performance? I anticipate creating a site collection to manage this content by itself, but if there are known issues should storage reach a certain threshold, I can accept spreading this out over a few site collections but would want to know that before I recommend anything to our business unit. I'm aware of the recommendations for SharePoint 2013, but am unsure these limitations would still apply.

2 Replies
Well, the current threshold we have for SPO Site Collections in regards of storage is 25 TB, i.e, you can store in a single site collection up to 25 TB of data...so 2 TB should be fine in a single site collection...what you should question yourself is what's the expected user experience when working with images in SPO and the number of images you are going to store per document library

Good to know there isn't an expected performance drop in SPO at that size. To dig further to another point, is there a known performance problem with a single document library holding that much data? I would speculate there would be, and hope that our business users understand there are plenty of reasons aside from performance to justify several libraries, but just to be prepared, would be interested in more knowledge of thresholds for document libraries as well.