Beginners Question on uploading files into a library.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Apologies for a question that is probably very basic to the pros - I'm new to SharePoint and finding it all a bit overwhelming!

We're trying to knock-up what is essentially a very basic Document Management System to replace some paper filing cabinets. 

My thinking is to produce a form/app that allows a user to select and upload a file into a SP library and as part of the process gives the file a unique name (probably made from data and time) so as to avoid issues with duplicate filenames (as a lot of the files are likely to have similar names, e.g. 'passport.jpg' or 'doctors-registration.docx) and asks for/adds metadata to the file, which is what's then used to search/filter the files. The idea being that we end up with a big bucket of files that the user then filters on metadata, say, "Student Name is Joe Bloggs" or "Document Type is Visa" to get the file they want.

I'm not asking how to do this (I'll go away and work it out) but does this seem vaguely sensible/the correct way to go?

Thanks!

Andrew.

2 Replies

@AndrewCleland not telling you how to do this but if you want a system that will automatically add the date and time to a filename to make it unique then you'll need to consider doing this with a flow in Power Automate.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott Thanks Rob. Very useful, I found a blog post on using PowerApps to upload to a SharePoint library, which I've got working and now I'm trying part 2 which is to add metadata as well. If that works, it will be great.

A.