SOLVED

Basic SP Modern architecture - front page for multiple hubs?

Brass Contributor

I am working on the architecture for a SharePoint modern experience intranet. I would like to organize the pages as suggested by Microsoft's documentation - that is, with hubs for each of our divisions, and communications pages for the various groups in the division. We are not doing Teams sites at this time, as this is not planned to be a collaboration space. 

So, since it is not possible to associate a hub with another hub, what is the common solution for a front page to an intranet that all of the hubs branch off of? I feel like this is an overly simplistic question that I am overthinking, but I would like to get some feedback. A simple communications page that links to the hubs seems clunky. Also, one of the desired requirements for the page is that there is persistent navigation throughout the site, which does not seem to be a thing when using hubs (where the persistent nav would only exist between the hubs and their associated communications sites). 

If anyone could point me in the direction of a helpful resource, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance! 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@CW_213 In the future (Q3 maybe) we'll be able to use SharePoint Home Sites to aggregate content across your environment. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-SharePoint-Blog/SharePoint-home-sites-a-landing-for...

However, your issue with persistent and consistent nav is going to be a problem for you currently. You'll likely have to build a SPFx Application Customizer to be your top navigation if you want it across your hubs.

What most companies do that I have seen, is just set a new node in Navigation called "Hubs" and manually link your hubs across all of your hub sites, so you can navigate between them. (Which means you'd manually create that on all your hub sites navigation)

@Beau Cameron Thanks. Understood. The Home sites seem to be the way to go once they are released. Is the current solution to just create a communications site that links to the various hubs?

@CW_213 
Hi, 

We have created a Communication site as intranet root site. Here we have created a mega menu that links to our Hub sites (Countries, Major parts of company, Corporate News and a general About company with global info) We only allow Modern sites and have blocked sub sites. So we try adopting modern only. As an enterprise company we also try to keep the main parts of our Intranet as few to many communication. So few people are other than visitors in the main parts of the intranet. 

br 

Jais 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@CW_213 In the future (Q3 maybe) we'll be able to use SharePoint Home Sites to aggregate content across your environment. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-SharePoint-Blog/SharePoint-home-sites-a-landing-for...

However, your issue with persistent and consistent nav is going to be a problem for you currently. You'll likely have to build a SPFx Application Customizer to be your top navigation if you want it across your hubs.

What most companies do that I have seen, is just set a new node in Navigation called "Hubs" and manually link your hubs across all of your hub sites, so you can navigate between them. (Which means you'd manually create that on all your hub sites navigation)

View solution in original post