SOLVED

Automatically created child

Brass Contributor

Hello

Do you have any suggestions on how to create a child item, in a child list, from the parent list?

I'd like to have a list of items (issues to track), with a link to a child list to keep track of updates for the parent item, but by the time the parent is created, the child, and I don't know how to work it out.

Because a given parent item may have many different updates (children), I need to have the parent item in the parent list, linked to the many items in the child list. The challenge I have is that by the time I create the parent item, the child item doesn't exist, and I need to create it automatically so that users can go (say a few days later) and enter updates.

I know I can use a field with "Multiple lines of text" in SP and view the entries, but I need to pull the data from a database and the field with "Multiple lines of text" doesn't work in the database.

Thank you

Leo

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Leonel GUZMAN (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Leonel GUZMAN I don't think you can achieve this with SharePoint on its own, you need to look at doing this with a flow in Power Automate. It would create the "child" item in the separate list when the parent item is created, and you'd need a ParentID column in the child list for the ID of the parent to be populated. Then when the parent is updated it can update the child based on a filter query on the ParentID column eq ID.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Leonel GUZMAN If using PowerApps is an option, @Admin Reza Dorrani has an excellent tutorial on related lists that may be helpful to you. 

Thank you all

Yes, PowerAutomate is the way to go.

Leo

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Leonel GUZMAN (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Leonel GUZMAN I don't think you can achieve this with SharePoint on its own, you need to look at doing this with a flow in Power Automate. It would create the "child" item in the separate list when the parent item is created, and you'd need a ParentID column in the child list for the ID of the parent to be populated. Then when the parent is updated it can update the child based on a filter query on the ParentID column eq ID.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

View solution in original post