automatic numbering in lists

Copper Contributor

Hi - relative newbie. Not only that, but relative newbie creating a risk register using a list :)

Can someone tell me how a can configure a list in SP online so that each new item is automatically assigned its own ID i.e. so that I don't have to manually enter 'Risk 1', 'Risk 2' etc - that's going to got wrong pretty soon...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

6 Replies

@jacobite the most robust method is just to use the ID column as that will always give you a unique number.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliot - thanks for taking the time to reply. Is the ID column a standard option in lists? - i don't see it...

@jacobite yes it is. Click the dropdown next to one of the column headings (it doesn't matter which one), select Column settings then Show/hide columns and select ID then click Apply.

showHide1.png

showHide2.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott - many thanks. Worked perfectly.

While I have your expert ear (or eyes), can you shed any light on how I can automatically change the colour of a cell based on the value of other cells i.e. Probability (3) x Impact (4) - 12 (turns the cell red).

Easy enough in Excel, but not sure about SP online?

@jacobite and it's easy enough in a SharePoint list as well with JSON column formatting. In this example Probability is a number column with decimal points set to 0, so is Impact. RiskScore is a calculated column with the formula =[Probability]*[Impact]. Then click the dropdown next to RiskScore, select Column settings and then select Format this column. Select Advanced mode, clear everything and paste in the following JSON:

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "div",
  "txtContent": "@currentField",
  "style": {
    "background-color": "=if(@currentField >= 15, 'red', if(@currentField >=10 &&@currentField<15, 'gold','green')",
    "color": "=if(@currentField >= 15, 'white', if(@currentField >=10 && @currentField<15, 'black','white')",
    "padding-left": "4px"
  }
}

That will result in this:

riskScore.png

Of course you can change the parameters, colors or add more if you need to.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@RobElliott sincere thanks for such a detailed and helpful response. Much appreciated.