AutoCAD - how to add metadata tags within desktop app

Copper Contributor

My client currently uses AutoCAD for drawings and SP Online for document management.  To edit drawings, we have recommended a sync of the document library using OneDrive sync and edit the documents from the local sync version.  This enables better performance working with the file rather than using the full URL to the SharePoint site.  It also enables the XREF files to use relative paths. 

What is lost is the ability to add metadata tags within the app.  Office apps have the option in File, Info and tags can be applied.  We've been unable to find anywhere in the AutoCAD app to assign tags in the same way office apps work.  Does anyone know if AutoCAD has this integration?  

On a separate note, SharePoint Online, by default has some integration with AutoCAD.  When opening a filetype SharePoint recognises as an AutoCAD file, it gives the option to open in AutoCAD webapp.  This is very slow for large files and unworkable.  It apparently should give the option to work in AutoCAD desktop app, but not whilst navigating in the SP document library in a browser and selecting the open options.  Has anyone worked with this?  Knows how this should work optimally?

Thanks

Ros  

2 Replies

@InfraRos 
What is the purpose of adding metadata to the AutoCAD files?
- capturing custom fields like project information, status, .. 
or using standard fields like LastSavedBy, total editing time, .. into the drawing files?

For example,

DWG metadata.JPG
- Use the metadata for searching, in views, ...?

By using OneDrive for Business you have solved the performance problem. But OneDrive for Business does not support metadata and AutoCAD files (assuming you use DWG) also do not have property promotion like Office files. So even if you are able to store the metadata in the DWG files they are not available in SharePoint after synching.
Paul | SLIM Applications (https://www.slimapplications.com/)

@Paul de Jong - thanks for responding Paul.  Yes, the meta tags are being used to store project specific information to enable search to function well.  The majority of files in each document library are office files, some are dwg files and I wanted to provide a way to update those files and associated tags easily.  Otherwise, they will have to save the file and then login to SP to update the tags as a separate process. 

I've found CADtoWIN which supports integration between AutoCAD and SP so tags can be updated in the app, however, I was really looking for a way to do this without buying additional software.