Auto re-run option in SPMT

MVP

Hello, 

the Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool has an option in the settings to "auto re-run". According to the documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointmigration/spmt-settings it does the following:

Migration auto re-run Choose if you want to automatically rerun a migration task to look for changes or additions. Select either Run once, or Run up to 5 successive times.

My question is: When do these auto re-runs happen? There is no information about that. 

4 Replies

@Ingeborg Hawighorst 

This will be happening once the migration done to verify the migration. This helps when someone has the open file and files are not migrating in the first round, but after closing the file, will be migrated in second round.

I hope that answers your question :)

Hello @Alireza Rahimifarid , 

thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really answer my question. Do the 5 re-runs start back to back? Or is there a wait period between re-runs? If so, how long is that wait period? 

This should be in the documentation instead of leaving it to guess work and interpretation. I need to know what happens when I tick that box.

I Agree, but when you try this you can find this is exactly what happen when you are doing rerun or rerun fr 5 times.

@Alireza Rahimifarid My point is that I want to know BEFORE I use the command what happens. I don't want to overload my client's system and I need to know what happens when I click a command that can potentially slow down their system for hours.