Auto Populate columns based on a selection in Sharepint List

Copper Contributor

I have a List that has a lot of columns. I am wondering if there is a way for columns to be auto populated based on what the users select in another column?

Choice Column 1 - User selects "ABC"

Choice Column 2-5 auto populates

Thank you

2 Replies

@Tbruns there are 2 ways to do this. If you create a lookup column that looks up a column from a different list then you can select the data from any of the other columns in that second list to be added:

lookupColumnsAdditionalFields.png

The other way would be to use a Power Apps customised form instead of the default SharePoint form that would bring back the other columns from something selected in, for example, a dropdown and then patched (saved) to the SharePoint list.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott 

Thank you for the quick response.

If I use the lookup column, will that work with the same list?

I have just started experimenting with PowerApps and actually have created the "form" in Powerapps and added it to my SharePoint page and I am using Collect then patch to send the info to the Sharepoint List. So basically I am saying I wouldn't know where to even start to get it to bring back the info after selecting certain criteria lol. It also seems to me that there is a lot of "functions" or "Coding" you have to do in PwerApps which I am far from a programming guru.

What do you feel is the easiest for a novice like me?