Auto Generate Sequential Project Numbers

Copper Contributor

Hello Community,

Fairly new SharePoint user here.

I have one list called (Master Clients) which includes the client name (Client Name), and a unique three digit prefix number (Client Number) for each client/item.

I have a second list (Project List) which when new items are entered, uses the "Look up" function to select the "Client Name" and it also adds the "Client Number" (prefix) to the list. 

Project numbers are generated by adding the "Client Number" and then the next number in line for that specific project. For example: 321 001, 321 002, 321 003 and so on

Each client has a unique prefix "Client Number" and then a project number. So a different client project would look like this: 123 001, 123 002 and so on.

I would like to ask if its possible (and learn how to do it) the following:

1. Auto generate a sequential "Project Number" for each specific client. 

Ideally, when adding a new item in the "Project List" and selecting the "Client Name" from the Look up drop down, it would automatically create the next sequential "Project Number" specific for that client/prefix number. For example, it would read like this: "321001". Then the next project/item I add to the "Project List" for that client in this example would auto generate "321002" and so on.

What would be the best set up for the SharePoint list(s) for such an solution.

Would I need a separate list for each client, listed by project and then do another lookup based on the last project number added. I feel like this could be list overload if there are lots of clients.

If anyone has any suggestions for the set up of the list(s) that would make such a solution easier to work out, I would love to hear them.

Thank you for your time and guidance.

2 Replies

@hello_a_r this isn't do-able in SharePoint on its own but would need a flow in Power Automate.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Thank you, I am researching this now.
Would you suggest a centralized list for all project numbers associated with prefix numbers which are auto generated and then assigned to projects.