SOLVED

Audience Targeting - Text web part

Iron Contributor

Does anyone know of a way to do audience targeting for the textbox web part?

Say I have a single page with two textboxes, and I want to display each textbox to a different audiences. I know that this is not natively supported, but perhaps someone out there has a workaround?

9 Replies

@Allan With Sørensen Cannot think of anything out of the box.

Did you check out Viva Connections dashboard? It will let you create cards that can point to pages/content and target them for audience groups. You can add 'Viva Connections dashboard' app on SharePoint site page. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/connections/create-dashboard

Thanks for the response, much appreciated! I'm still learning af about Viva Connections Dashboards, aso. My sense is that cards are more suited for dynamic content, whereas what we're looking to add is just basic static content. Like information about procedures, governance, aso. We can't have a dashboard for each page, that would sort of defeat the purpose of a dashboard in the first place, if I'm understanding correctly?

@Allan With Sørensen Unfortunately, Audience targeting is not yet supported for Text web part. It is supported only for below web parts:

1. Highlighted Content 
  2. News
  3. Quick Links
  4. Events

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
This is not supported - yet - but folks at Microsoft have indicated that audience targeting for additional web parts is on the horizon. We could target text web parts (content editor web part) in classic SharePoint so my guess is that being able to target the Text web part will happen at some point. In the meantime, a work-around that I sometimes use is to create a page with the relevant information for each audience and then use the highlighted content web part (which can be enabled to respect audience targeting) to pull in the page link for the relevant page based on the user's audience. This works best when there is some content that is for all users and other content that is only relevant to selected users. It doesn't actually display the content to the user, but it makes the content only one click away.

@Susan Hanley Thanks for replying :) - I trust this very much to be the case, coming from you.

I get that what you suggest could be a way of doing it, but we do want to avoid that extra click, plus the nightmare of having to maintain a big number of extra pages. We're actually using a third party CMS addon to handle it for now, but was just curious as to whether this was possible with native SharePoint.

Hopefully it'll show up sooner than later... along with the ability to set line-height for text blocks...

Thank you again.

Thank you for responding, much appreciated. I've found much the same information as you mention, but was just curious whether someone knew of an alternative.

@Allan With Sørensen I would have suggested you the alternative of creating different pages for different set of audiences and then using quick links web part with audience targeting to add the links to pages & set the audience on each link in quick links web part.

But, I thought this is lot of work for your requirements (to show the piece of text on single page based on audience). So, not provided this alternative solution earlier. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

You're right. Adding it on every page is not a good solution. It is suitable for a home page where you display different targeted cards for different groups.
Thanks, yeah, I think so too. Much too complex.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
This is not supported - yet - but folks at Microsoft have indicated that audience targeting for additional web parts is on the horizon. We could target text web parts (content editor web part) in classic SharePoint so my guess is that being able to target the Text web part will happen at some point. In the meantime, a work-around that I sometimes use is to create a page with the relevant information for each audience and then use the highlighted content web part (which can be enabled to respect audience targeting) to pull in the page link for the relevant page based on the user's audience. This works best when there is some content that is for all users and other content that is only relevant to selected users. It doesn't actually display the content to the user, but it makes the content only one click away.

View solution in original post