Asset mgmt or issue tracking in sharepoint

Iron Contributor
I see that there are paid solutions available but I am looking for a low friction avenue to meet straightforward needs.
Simply looking for an easy way to track and update issues we file with building maintenance
Also interested in tracking some of our tagged computer equipment.
We are using independent third party methods for these two tasks and it should be pretty easy to bring them into sharepoint. We aren't even talking 100 items in either list.

What I found interesting is that you can actually use access to create a webpart for things like asset management. I figure there are other methods (simple being creating a list, more complex being setting up a relational database and interface) with different merits and I'd like to simply learn more about people's experiences.

It'll also be interesting to see if people respond. Presumably no one moved here now that the yammer group shut down.
8 Replies
Out of the box in SharePoint you have issue tracking list + Workflows...
Given that maintenance people are mobile, I'd look at using powerapps with SharePoint lists

About 16,000 people did which is a little worrying considering the 80,000+ members on yammer but I don't know how many of them were active. As per @Dean Gross's suggestion, PowerApps might do, as long as the volume is small. It was a bit on the slow side when I tested it but it had promise.

Given how the web version of Access stores it's data I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued it at some point.

Access Web App performance is terrible. Very slow, inconsistent performance. PowerApps all the way!
We aren't sending to maintenance people. We are tracking the requests we send out to the company we are currently leasing from. As you would expect, there are many occasions when we need to follow up or remind them
@norman that is what I was concerned about. I strongly suspect that access is not a good long term decision, even if it is for a relatively small task.
Ok, a SP Task List would be a good place to start, you can assign a Task to someone and they update the status as appropriate.
Thanks. This is a nice but slightly old video that shows issue lists design in sharepoint.
http://wendy-neal.com/2015/03/how-to-create-a-user-friendly-issue-tracking-list-in-sharepoint-2013/