Are nested groups inside azure active directory supported in SharePoint online

Steel Contributor

Are nested groups inside azure active directory supported in SharePoint online? so if we created a nested azure active directory group, can we add this nested group to SharePoint site's permission? 

In other words, let say we have 2 AD groups; Group-A & Group-B .. and we added Group-B inside Group-A .. then we added the nested group to a SharePoint site >> then will all users inside AD Group-A and AD Group-B get the permission on SharePoint? Thanks

3 Replies
Not sure if I understand your question here, but SharePoint Online has supported AD / Azure AD Groups forever

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for the reply. What i mean is that inside Azure AD you can add a group inside another group which is called nested groups in azure AD. so let say we have 2 AD groups; Group-A & Group-B .. and we added Group-B inside Group-A .. then we added the nested group to a SharePoint site >> then will all users inside AD Group-A and AD Group-B get the permission on SharePoint? did you get my question? thanks for your help.

Hi John John,
I didn't notice you were the one doing the question :-). Of course I got the question and I have never tried your scenario, so best you can do it is to try yourself and see what SPO is able to do with this nested groups scenarios. Good luck and please, update us we any finding you might have