Are Microsoft working on a new (modern) Contact List?

Deleted
Not applicable

Even with the new Sharepoint Online sites rolled out, when i add a Contact List, it turns to the old version. Are Microsoft working on a new (modern) Contact List? or we are supposed to develop by our own?

15 Replies
This is something we don't currently know....the fact is that Microsoft has only modernized custom list...any of the other ones (Contacts, Tasks, Calendar, Issues, ...) are not modernized yet

I don't have any insider information, but there is a huge SharePoint Virtual Summit in May where perhaps they might unveil new modern list capabilities: https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/21/announcing-the-sharepoint-virtual-summit/

I'm personally looking forward to tuning in!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far nothing on this topic from the Summit. I'm really interested to see if this specific kind of list has "a future" in the new modernized world - the 2-way Outlook connector specifically. We want to move from using Exchange public folders as a host of our contacts database to Sharepoint list and build on top of it, while retaining the view and edit options of the Outlook environment. I would really appreciate a word on whether this functionality is meant to be supported going forward.

unfortunately nothing new regard existing list templates and if they are being modernised.

Modern Contact List seams now to be available..

Although I do have the switcher in the lower left corner to "close the classic experience" on contact list, it doesn't work for me in modern layout at all. I get a big error icon in the middle and the list just doesn't load in Modern for me. It's customised a bit in terms of columns, but nothing beyond the out-of-the-box standard types there so I doubt it's the reason.

Is yours actually working?

Interesting, I'm not seeing a modern Contact list in my test tenant...
Talked too soon!!! Seing the modern Contact list in my test tenant and it's working well

It's not formatted well enough, and is not working 100% as of yet.

New Contact List.PNG

Mine is there too but on the left hand side I had to click return from classic.

I also have the problem with formatting, email address is formatted as html, which would be fine if it rendered as a link. Problem is its a text feild.

It's Feb 2018 and I don't have a modern UI experience contacts list when I create a new Contacts app. Anyone know if this rolled out to general availability? 

Modern Contact List has disappeared recently from my tenant after it became available back in August.

Yep, I don't have it either. That toggle disappeared rather quickly for my Contacts Lists and didn't come back ever since. I'm in need of this update - I want to use the PowerApps-based form!

Hi,

Is there any reason why all the modern list apps that are available in Team Sites, are not available in Communication Sites?

I'd like to create a contact list in a SharePoint Hub but can't :(

Take a look on the roadmap: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=31064

The following list templates now have modern UI support: Issue Tracking, Contacts, Custom List in Datasheet View New and existing lists created using one of these templates will now appear in modern UI by default. Additionally, the native UI now supports multi-line text fields with the "Append Changes to Existing Text" setting enabled. Lists that contain this field type will no longer fall back to classic mode to accommodate these fields