Apply a site template option not visible in Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

From what I read, you can use existing templates for Sharepoint sites. I followed the steps here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/apply-and-customize-sharepoint-site-templates-39382463-0e...
The problem is that I don't have the option "Apply a site template", any idea why ?

6 Replies
Site Templates are still being rolled out, I have not seen then either

@Phil_Bail Release timeline of this feature is postponed by Microsoft & it is still not rolled out.

You can find the detailed release timeline & other information about this feature in this article: Site templates are coming to SharePoint Online 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

According to the Microsoft 365 Roadmap, feature 70574 is generally available now in Oct. 2021 but the feature is not working for my sites. When I try to apply a template I get this error:

Unable to get templates. The requested operation is part of an experimental feature that is not supported in the current environment. A SharePoint admin can enable Microsoft-provided templated.

I cannot find a setting anywhere to enable this. Does this mean that the new feature is just not rolled out to my tenant yet, even though I am on the Targeted Release channel?

@tedgar1 

You can enable it via Powershel:

Set-SPOsite <Site Url> -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

@ThomasMichelsen Any idea why we have to use powershell to enable it?  And why we have to enable a GA feature at all? Also, this cmdlet doesn't work for personal sites and I have users that want their own sites.

@matt howell 

Some festures are only manageble through Powershell. Regarding personal sites, this might be of use? powershell - Block all personal sites in Sharepoint (Microsoft cannot help) - Stack Overflow

/Thomas