SOLVED

Anybody else's top link bar in Modern experience disappear?

Steel Contributor

Came into work this morning to discover my tenant no longer has access to the Top Link Bar in our SharePoint sites while using the Modern experience. Has anyone else encountered this?

*Edit* This appears to have affected sites with Publishing enabled. Top link bar isn't visible while using any app or Pages. Site Collections started Classic but are mostly Modern at this point. Hasn't been an issue ever.

79 Replies
I am having a similar problem today as well. I am unable to add or edit links from the home page of a communication site but can add them by going into Site Settings or another system page. This is only for site navigation though, any hub site navigation on other sites seems to be unaffected.

I am also experiencing this same issue. I add links and then they do not show up. I go to edit and add them in again and now I have double the same links! Try to delete and they have disappeared again.

I'm still having the problem

@Steelerfan51 We are having the same issues. Modern communication site, top navigation bar always disappearing with no explanation. 

I decided to switch to the Hub site navigation in the end.  This works well modern pages on subsites.   

The navigation experience is not consistent when you have a mixture of Classic and Modern pages on your sites, but the hub site navigation got us closest to where we wanted to be. 

I have the same problem with Edge Dev but not with IE11 and Edge for a month. No problem with Edge Dev on my professional PC. Strange!

@Sam Larson This same problem is happening to us today. Ctrl+F5 isn't helping. Is there a way to fix this? We rely on the Managed Nav. 

Hi Lauren, you may be running into a separate issue here. The issue discussed earlier in this thread was actually a regression that was fixed in December. To my knowledge this is not occurring again however if there is another regression it would help to have your tenant details. If you can get a service request opened via https://admin.microsoft.com we can further investigate. Thank you!

Further investigation is pointing towards a possible issue that started today. Please monitor service health dashboard for updates.
Hello any update on this? Looks like modern page navigation is not working. Showing the page not found link and other unwanted subsite links, but when going in Navigation settings, they are not there.

We've determined that an update which routed users utilizing navigation links was removed in error, resulting in impact. We're working to identify the optimal method to restore functionality.
We have posted this issue under SP196097 for the affected environments.

We've confirmed that deployment has completed and that service is restored.

@Sam Larson Thank you for your quick responses. Our managed navigation is working today. 

@Sam Larson I just had my top navigation disappear today from my SharePoint site where I use modern pages. I saw this post but from back in 2017. Looking for any advise. 

@TLavallee19680313 - At this time I'm unaware of any major issues with this occurring again. Please open a support ticket and the team can investigate. 

@Sam Larson Just a bump and update for @TLavallee19680313. One of our clients started experiencing a similar nav issue on the 9th April. No resolutions yet.

@Sam Larson I'm having this issue now as well. For me this is totally bizarre. I have many subsites that have been around for 1-5 years, none of which are having this problem. I created another subsite today, it has the exact same settings as all my other subsites, yet it is missing the top navigation on all modern pages. No matter which setting I choose for top nav, it stubbornly refuses to appear.

@DK4Life @TLavallee19680313 

I don't know if this will solve your issue, but for me going to Title, Description & Logo, and changing the Web Site Address worked for me.

I don't know what it was about my URL (just a single word) that sharepoint didn't like, but this fixed it for me. Changing it back to the original breaks the global nav again.

June 2021 and this just happened to me in a modern SPO communications site that is a hub! I searched and searched and there was no way to get to the fix in site settings because they hid the menu you need! Why? Anyway the fix is to slap /_layouts/15/navoptions.aspx on your sites/sitename URL and then click the show quick launch radio button.

We have a classic site (STS#0) with publishing activated and found some of the links from goblal navigation disappears and it happens only modern pages (Site Page). It seems the links which are pointing to a site page are disappearing.

There is a chance that the below link doesn't appear in the global navigation. 

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/site1/sitepages/sp1.aspx

Change the link to https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/site1 and it will appear. 

It seems, the publishing feature caching mechanism is not capable of hanling the navigation nodes pointing to modern site pages. 

I hope this helps someone.