Any harm if i remove the "Company Administrator" from our site collection administrator

Steel Contributor

Hi all,

I want to start a new sharepoint project and i am planning to work on the classic team site root site collection. now i checked the "Site collection Administrator" for the root site collection, and i found that the "Company Administrator" is already defined, as follow:-

com123.png

where i checked who is defined inside the "Company Administrator" using this command:-

Import-Module MSOnline
Connect-MsolService

$role = Get-MsolRole -RoleName "Company Administrator"
Get-MsolRoleMember -RoleObjectId $role.ObjectId | Export -CSV c:\CompanyAdministrator.csv

and i found that this group contain 4 users; the office 365 admin + 3 manager end users.

now i want to remove the "Company Administrator" from being defined inside the "Site Collection administrator", and i want to only add the office 365 admin.. but my question if this is a supported operation? now i know that technically any "company administrator" can add him self as a "site collection administrator", but i do not want this to happen by defualt on the new site collection.

2 Replies

Yes, it's supported, and it's actually a common practice used by many organizations in which there is separation of duties between the IT staff. This is only for the root SC anyway, any newly created ones will not have the group added.