Alternative to [Me] for SharePoint List Form

Copper Contributor

Hi

I hope this is a simple one. I am creating a form that in 90% of cases will be completed by the user, and occasionally typed up by an assistant from a paper copy. It will be a SharePoint list

I'd like an area at the bottom with default name and date, that could be edited if it is being completed on behalf of others. Date was simple, but as for default name, [me] is ugly, and [Created By] can't be used in calculated columns

Any help appreciated

Conn

6 Replies

I think I'll just leave it blank, have some JSON stating to only fill this in if you're are completing on behalf of someone else. Then use Power Automate to fill it in with [Created By] only if it is blank.

I'd have liked to have a default, but it is ok

@ConnM 

If you want to create a person or group column and populate it based on currently logged in user, you have to customize the list form using Power Apps. Then you can achieve it easily using Power Apps formula.

Check: 

1. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Populate-People-Picker-with-Current-User/td-... 
  2. https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/How-to-Default-a-People-Picker-to-current-us... 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Thanks Ganesh
Do you know if I create a Power Apps form, if it can be added to a site template? I want to reuse this solution

@ConnM Unfortunately, it is not possible to include and migrate power apps customized forms to new sites using SharePoint site template (site design).

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks very much Ganesh, have a great day

@ConnM You can use this tool created by @Denis Molodtsov for easy migration of Power Apps customized SharePoint list forms: Flow & Power Apps Migrator 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.