SOLVED

All you need to know about Commenting in SharePoint / Microsoft Lists

MVP

Microsoft introduced a new feature of Commenting in SharePoint Online lists and Microsoft lists. Using this feature users will be able to add and delete comments on list items. Users can view all comments on a list item and filter between views that show comments or activity related to an item in details pane.

Microsoft rolled out this feature to all SharePoint Online tenants in December 2020 release, see Microsoft 365 Roadmap.

Check this articles for more information and step by step tutorials:

1. All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 
  2. How to Enable/Disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  3. Enable/Disable the comments for individual SharePoint Online/Microsoft List 
  4. Working with SharePoint Online/Microsoft List Comments using JSON Formatting 
  5. GET SharePoint list item comments using REST API 
  6. Add Comments on list item using SharePoint REST API 
  7. Delete Comments from list item using SharePoint REST API 

Comments options in List view.png

37 Replies
I didn't know about many things myself. Thanks!

we need a permission option to allow commenting, without it, everyone needs to be a member or receive the at mention email to be able to comment

I have power automate listen for form submissions and then create a list item, the user that completes the form is the creator of the list item, but they can't comment on their own list item because they aren't a member of the group/ms team. 

Even if I use the "can edit their own list items" they still can't comment.

@CaptainComedy Can you show us how you configured your flow to create list items?

You must have used connections flow owner (maybe service account) to create list items. In that case the "Created By" of list item will be flow owner instead of user who submitted form.

Or did you somehow set the SharePoint default "Created By" column with user who submitted the form?

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

SharePoint and OneDrive are two of Microsoft's most popular cloud-based storage and collaboration platforms. But what are the differences between the two? And which one is right for your business? Read on to find out. SharePoint vs OneDrive.

@ganeshsanap, looks like this has changed...not sure when. Users with read-only permissions are now able to leave comments. 

@jmuehlenbein On our SharePoint tenant, users with read (visitors) permissions get this: 

ganeshsanap_0-1666074699341.png

Comments are an awesome addition to lists! Is there functionality for including comments in modern search results? Maybe I'm not patient enough, but my search tests have not yielded any results for text strings left in comments.

@Jay_McW I don't think list comments are included in modern search results by default.

@ganeshsanap We have created an edit no add permission role and we are running into an issue with users being able to @mention on an item. This role does contain the "edit items" permission, however when a user tries to @mention a coworker they are blocked. It seems I can grant a user the Contribute role, but I don't want items added or deleted from the list which is why I created this editing role. Any thought on why they wouldn't be able to @mention? They can comment, just not @mention. 

JulieReutBier_0-1679088902995.png

@JulieReutBier Can you share screenshot of your custom permission level to see which permissions are selected and which are removed? 

Please consider giving Like if my post helped you in any way. For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Thanks for the quick reply!

Screenshot_20230318_103947_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230318_103955_Chrome.jpg

@ganeshsanap 

Seems to require "Add Items" to be check which doesn't make sense.

@JulieReutBier When you mention users in comment, SharePoint checks if users have permissions to the list item.

If they don't have permissions, SharePoint grants permissions to users on the list item. For managing permissions in SharePoint Edit or higher permissions are required. 

Please consider giving Like if my post helped you in any way. For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Is there a way to enable comments on a list created from and Excel Sheet ?
Thx

@Gregoire Bousseau Try using PnP PowerShell or SharePoint REST API or CLI for Microsoft 365 for enabling SharePoint list comments.

You can find complete script/code in articles given here: Enable/Disable the comments for a SharePoint Online/Microsoft List 

Why can't we get the same level of feature in a document library. @mentions are not availables for doc libs.

@Benoit Fournier Unfortunately, this feature is specific to SharePoint lists and Microsoft Lists only. This feature is not available for document libraries.

If you want Microsoft to implement this feature for document libraries as well, you can provide your feedback/idea at: SharePoint Feedback Portal 

Additional: It is possible to add comments and mention other users inside word documents as well: Insert or delete a comment 

I did create an entry in the feedback portal but I do not have high expectations on a resolution.

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/ff3a0d62-5efa-ed11-a81c-000d3a7a48db

Thanks for taking time to confirm this missing feature.