SOLVED

All you need to know about Commenting in SharePoint / Microsoft Lists

MVP

Microsoft introduced a new feature of Commenting in SharePoint Online lists and Microsoft lists. Using this feature users will be able to add and delete comments on list items. Users can view all comments on a list item and filter between views that show comments or activity related to an item in details pane.

Microsoft rolled out this feature to all SharePoint Online tenants in December 2020 release, see Microsoft 365 Roadmap.

Check this articles for more information and step by step tutorials:

1. All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 
  2. How to Enable/Disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  3. Enable/Disable the comments for individual SharePoint Online/Microsoft List 
  4. Working with SharePoint Online/Microsoft List Comments using JSON Formatting 
  5. GET SharePoint list item comments using REST API 
  6. Add Comments on list item using SharePoint REST API 
  7. Delete Comments from list item using SharePoint REST API 

Comments options in List view.png

37 Replies

@ArefHalmstrand You're welcome. Hope you will enjoy the blog series!

Hi, we're using SharePoint 365 and I don't see this feature available in my library/list. Is there a way to turn this setting on?
best response confirmed by ganeshsanap (MVP)
Solution

@marklanducc140 

This feature is available for SharePoint lists & Microsoft lists. It should be available in your tenant by default, unless someone from administration team disabled it.

If you want to enable this feature, you can do so using PowerShell. Check below article for more information & complete PowerShell commands:

How to Enable/Disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Be aware, that you'll not get those comments when exporting the list to Excel.

@ganeshsanapComments seems to be unrelated to versions of items.

There are also many different behaviours.

On libraries there is no explicit icon.  Comments can be found at the info pane inside the activity sections. For files we can add replys to comments which seems not possible for list-items. A DocumentSet inside a library does not have a comment possibility at all.

@NikolaiEssel Yes, as comments are stored within the list schema itself & not with each list item, it is not related to versioning of items.

Also, previously it was rolled out only for lists in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists and not for library. So, it is not yet full supported I guess. Even I am not able add comments on all types (extensions) of files.

Please Like if you found my post helpful.

Hi,
Whenever the comment and Like is added in the same list.
The comment feature is changed to new view. In classic view any how to resolve this issue.
Any one help in this.
Thanks in advance

@Mohanraj1309,

List comments are supported only in modern experience.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Enabling/Disabling list comments for individual SharePoint lists is now possible.

Check this article for detailed information: Enable/Disable the comments for a SharePoint Online/Microsoft List 

Now you can @mention your colleague’s in SharePoint/Microsoft Lists item comments :speech_balloon:

• Get a colleague’s attention to an list item by @mentioning them within list comments
  • Person will receive an email notification with a link to the list comment

Read more this feature at: SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists: @mention people in list comments 

Hi can site visitors comment on List items?

@mdoc7945 No. Visitor users cannot add comments on list items. User need edit permission to add/delete comments.

You can find more about permissions at: SharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

@ganeshsanap 

Is there any provision for Microsoft to improve this point and an external user can be mentioned in a task?
It would be interesting because if an external user is invited for a task and can receive news, he should also be mentioned in a task comment if necessary.
Thanks a lot.

@xiscoros Unfortunately, I haven't heard any news about when Microsoft will allow mentioning for external users in list comments.

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

Thanks for sharing! Working on a new List/Board view and this is very helpful.

@philborremans You're welcome, glad it helped you.

Adding the link to article about Board view in SharePoint lists in case anyone visits this thread in future: Board view in SharePoint online / Microsoft Lists 

@ganeshsanap 

We have noticed that the "Go To Comment" link in the email notification goes to a classic view of the list item, and this does not support comments, so they are not visible.  Does anyone know how to make it go to the Modern view of the list item, with comments?  

@AKB Try setting list experience to "New experience" from List settings > Advanced settings.

Are you using any classic experience columns (like Location, etc.) in list?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ganeshsanap (MVP)
Solution

@marklanducc140 

This feature is available for SharePoint lists & Microsoft lists. It should be available in your tenant by default, unless someone from administration team disabled it.

If you want to enable this feature, you can do so using PowerShell. Check below article for more information & complete PowerShell commands:

How to Enable/Disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

View solution in original post