Adding Recurring Events to a Microsoft List in Calendar View

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am currently trying to migrate some old calendars on classic SharePoint to a modern SharePoint site by making a new List on modern SharePoint and putting it into calendar view. I am having trouble making stat holidays recur so that the same stat holiday appears on the same days for the following years. I have heard some talk about using Power Automate to make this happen but have had no luck personally. I was wondering if there was a way to make recurring events in a List that could recur on a specific date on a timeline. For example, in the picture shown is an on call calendar on Classic SharePoint in which the events recur on a bi-weekly or weekly basis. Any information on how to make these events recur in a List on Modern SharePoint greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tyler_Andrew_0-1654293037716.png

5 Replies

@Tyler_Andrew Unfortunately, this is not possible using SharePoint OOTB capabilities. Calendar views in modern experience are new addition to SharePoint and it does not support recurring events.

1. Create a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  2. Add Modern Calendar to a SharePoint Online page 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Is there any way through Power Automate to create recurring events in Microsoft Lists?

@Donia Strand It feels like power automate could do this although it seems like an annoying amount of work to build all the logic that would be expected to already exist in a normal calendar.  Daily or weekly feel easy enough to automate but getting into monthly recurrence where you might do the 19th of every month vs the 3rd Tuesday of each month starts expanding the number of values you need to track and complexity of the logic needed for the flow to know how to build the meeting series.  Seems doable but annoying.  If simple recurrence like weekly or bi-weekly is all that is needed, that doesn't seem too hard.

I think the one thing MS have not included in SharePoint modern (ie, a fully functioning SP Calendar, with overlays) is probably the one bit of functionality that everyone actually uses! Why do they do this?

Anyway, looks like Power Apps to the rescue... I have just been researching the same thing and if we create a custom PA form to our Calendar list, we could achieve at least the recurring bit (and I think all day event would be easy to add as well).

I haven't tried it yet, but here's the video link: (doesn't include monthly recurring but will get you started)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvehOu-oZ8

Unfortunately the person in this YouTube video uses a classic calendar.