Adding external users to sharepoint

Copper Contributor

When launching a new Team site for a new project, we had struggles with getting permissions extended to our external partners. For some reason, the site permissions list had pre-built restrictions for the base groups. Could not figure out how or why these were already preloaded. Our company IT did not know why either. 

Any idea why there would be pre built restrictions for site members?  Particularly for external users? They were easy enough to delete, just not noticeable and required some troubleshooting.   

3 Replies

@JRichtarsic 

External access is set at the tenant level and also at the site level and there are default settings applied dependant on how you create the SharePoint site. 

When you say pre-built permissions, how did they look in SharePoint and what did it stop you doing. For example if I create a new site and don't change anything and try and add an external user I would expect to get a message saying "This user is not in your organisation"  

It did not prompt a warning after adding. That is one of the reasons it did not make sense. I did not add the restrictions and it did not indicate there was a restriction for external users.

@JRichtarsic 

To help I would need some screenshots of the permissions and a bit more of an explanation of what the issue is with the external users. 

Alternatively raise a support case in the Office 365 Admin centre and Microsoft will be able to remote view your issues and help you out.