Adding a Background Image to a SharePoint web part or section

Copper Contributor

Hi all

Is there a way yet, that an image can be placed behind text in a web part on a SharePoint site page?

Or alternatively, can an image be set as the background for a section. So then I could just place the normal Text web part over it?

It feels like a fairly simple thing, but appears to be far more difficult than I assume.

7 Replies
Background images are not supported in builtint WebParts as far as I know....they are not supported either in pages sections

@Focsai There are several things you can do to get close to this outcome, though not exactly what you have specifically asked for:

• Add an image web part and enable "text overlay" (if you don't have too much text)
  • Use the Call to Action web part, which takes a background image but requires a hyperlink (also for a small amount of text)
  • Create an image that has text in it. Not always the right answer, but I've used this several times to do things like create a full width image to use as a "section separator" on pages or to create an "ad" or communicate something that requires something visual with text.
Thanks for the post, this can work if you have an image that works with the text overlay or if you modify your image to facilitate the text overlay.
It's worth noting that we made some announcements today around improvements in page editing coming soon to SharePoint.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/sharepoint-in-the-ai-era-introducin...
You beat me to it - I was going to add that link! :grinning_face:

@Sam Crewdson   how does this work with existing sites?

I have created a fully functioning management system, and wanted to add some background images to specific pages in this site - is this posisble?

@Robert0811 

If you are using SharePoint online modern experience site pages then all the features mentioned in the announcement should work for you after the feature release to your SharePoint tenant.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.