Add-SPOListDesign

Iron Contributor

When I run the powershell command Add-SPOListDesign (from the SharePointOnlineManagementShell) i still get the message 'The requested operation is part of an experimental feature that is not supported in the current environment'.

This was supposed to have rolled out 6 months ago.

Am i doing something wrong?

Where can I find the status of this 'experimental feature'?

20 Replies
Hi Russell, was this ever solved?

@DACISME 

No , It has not.

I am still getting 

Add-SPOListDesign : The requested operation is part of an experimental feature that is not supported in the current environment.

And I thought this was supposed to be rolled out in January 2022.

I think this is the roadmap item:

RussellGove_0-1663166721901.png

Russell

@Russell Gove @DACISME  Release timeline for custom list templates feature has been extended for standard release tenants:

ganeshsanap_0-1663219619438.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap @Russell Gove :  Thank you both for the feedback and I have fingers crossed for a mid-September (any day now) release.  Being able to create a List template for my org will be help broaden the use of Lists.

Hi Ganesh,

I'm sorry to point out the obvious, but what's the reason the ROADMAP item is not amended with the ACTUAL timelines so we don't leave people second guessing? The message center message can be easily missed..

@Nikolay_Panchev I agree with you, timelines given in M365 roadmap and in message center posts should be in sync to avoid any confusion.

Hope Microsoft will fix such issues in future. You can raise a support ticket with Microsoft to inform them about these issues.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

Still not in my tenant. Is the target completion still early Novemeber?

Stay tuned, an updated timeline will be made public shortly.

@Russell Gove Yes, it's still showing timeline as early November in message center post.

Usually new feature releases gets delayed by Microsoft and they publish updated timeline if not released within expected timeline.

Try following this documentation, uninstalling older version of SharePoint online management shell and installing latest version: Creating custom list templates 

Related readCustom list templates in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 

Or if you want to use this feature earlier than standard release, set up the Targeted release options for your tenant.

@ganeshsanap :  Greeting again, has anyone been able to deploy this?

@DACISME I'm in the same boat. Keep getting this is an experimental feature error even though I'm targeted to get the latest release. Any ideas?

@Dan_R125  Hi, I wish I knew!  I see MS doing YouTube video's as if this is released but it must be to a very small group of people. Maybe we need to contact Mark Kashman! :)

Hi Dan, I wonder if something has been updated. This is from February 21 https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/lists-custom-template
Maybe this will work :crossed_fingers: I'm going to work with our IT to see on my side.

Just tried to do this and got the same message as everyone else in this thread. What can we do?:facepalm::cry:

Feature 70753 has reached general availability last January 2023. Make sure you get the most recent version (16.0.23019.12000 or above) of Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell by running Update-Module. This, combined with using PowerShell 5, allowed me to create a custom list template by following these steps: Custom list templates - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Learn

psspo.jpgadd-spolistdesign.jpgcustomlist.jpg

Thank you Aline! @Aline Tognini 

I am running version 16.0.23408.0 of Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.Powershell on PowerShell 5 and still get the message :(

Same here, still not available

@MarcoCyklop @ELH13 @DACISME  Please be aware that my demo tenant is on target release for everyone. If you're on standard release, the capability might still be pending rollout. Large or complex updates may take longer than others so that no users are adversely affected. There is no guarantee on the exact timeline of a release. For more information about feature release options, please visit: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/microsoft-365/admin/manage/release-options-in-office-365