SOLVED

Add Site Page Selection to New Library

Iron Contributor

To protect the home and other important pages we set the Site Pages library so only the Site Managers can update them.

I am setting up a new library so people with Contribute permissions can manage other pages.  I cannot find a way to add the Site Page selection.  I have tried Wiki Page Library and Document Library without luck. 

Am I missing a button or is it not possible?

9 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

I've seen a similar post to this and I'm believe that, at this time, there isn't a way to add additional Site Page libraries to a site. There might've been a "that's a good idea, we'll think about it" from Microsoft, but for now I think it's just the one library.

Thank you Matt.  I suspected such when I could not find a way or article on "how to".

Matt is correct. This is totally expected and by design!!
SharePoint has item level permissions even on pages, you can always restrict certain pages from editing by breaking inheritance on for example the home page but still allowing the users to add pages etc.

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for the confirmation.

@Deleted - Thanks, we were trying to stay away from item level permissions.

We have exactly the same requirement and have restricted item level permissions on the home page so site members can create new pages but cannot change the home page.
Looking at the new team site template and how this works, I don't think there would be any possibility of creating a separate Library for Site Pages so I think this is the only option going forwards. I know it goes against the grain to create item-level permissions but if you have your groups set up in advance I don't see this being too much of an issue.

So how does one "archive" a page. I don't want it permissioned differently, I just want a news article that is no longer relevant to be "removed" from live content but still available to peruse from a historical  perspective. I see no way of accomplishing this. Can't create a new page library. Can't create a folder. No way of tagging it as an archived story. How are we supposed to manage our content?

@DocLeland - Don't really have an answer unless you move it to an archive library with set permissions.  Unless you're referring removing a promoted page from news feeds

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

I've seen a similar post to this and I'm believe that, at this time, there isn't a way to add additional Site Page libraries to a site. There might've been a "that's a good idea, we'll think about it" from Microsoft, but for now I think it's just the one library.

View solution in original post