Add Location Details to SharePoint Data and Content

Microsoft

We are excited to announce a new capability for SharePoint lists and libraries. The new location column allows you to add rich location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to any SharePoint list or library. You can then filter, sort, and search by any aspect of the location data such as address, city, or state.

Creating a Location Column

To add a location column, simply click Add Column then select Location

1.png

You can then name the column and add secondary columns to display, sort, and filter by attributes such as city, state, or country.

1a.png

Now when creating or editing list items, you can search for location data from Bing Maps or your organization directory to associate it with your list item.

2.png

Once you have added location data for your list items, you can sort and filter your list based on any of the additional columns added during the column creation process. If you want to filter by an attribute you did not include during column creation, it can be added in the Edit Column pane.

3.png

Adding a new column type to SharePoint is a rare event. We can’t wait to see what uses you come up with for this new column!

We anticipate roll out for targeted release will begin by the end of November, with full worldwide release by mid-December.

Update: After resolving some issues that were discovered in targeted release, we are now finally ready to start shipping world wide. Location Column will now be available to everyone by Monday

76 Replies

@James Jackson 
Great functionality. Several posts are about using the Location column. So far I have found 3 ways:
a. Modern view: manually enter a location name or address for each item
This limits use to "known" places whereas in many case this is not possible (e.g. oil well).
b. Classic view: paste json string into the Location field
Most users will not be able to contruct this string.
c. Programmatically.
Use e.g. REST API to populate the Location field (e.g. https://www.slimapplications.com/product/explorer/). In principle this should also work with PowerShell or other API's.

By combining the Location field with Bing Maps its is possible to create powerful and intuitive solutions. A simple case: upload jpeg files, extract GPS coordinates and show items on a map.

Example Bing map SharePoint Online.png
Paul | SLIM Applications

@James Jackson I am facing very strange issue while working with new Location field. That might not be an issue but still let me put it here as I am not clear how Location field is behaving.

Case-1: I copy paste "6321 Westwood Rd Shreveport, LA 71129" address to the location field then it divided the entries as below

clipboard_image_0.png

Here country selected as US

Case-2: I pasted "20 N Van Dorn Street Alexandria, VA USA" address to the location field then it divided the entries as below

clipboard_image_1.png

Here country selected as United States

Case-3: Case-2: I pasted "6310 Rory Court, Lanham, MD 20706, USA" address to the location field then it divided the entries as below

clipboard_image_2.png

Here country selected as US

Here you can see that sometimes it is taking US and sometimes it is taking United States. So now if I am grouping the list view by Country then I am able to see 2 groups for same country as US and United States.

Can you please help me why this is generated and how I can resolve it?

@James Jackson 

I can't seem to make the location column work.  I can add it to a list through the modern experience but it doesn't show as an option in classic.  Also when I add the Location column, the Type property is blank.  I can choose city,state,zip etc but when I click save there are no Location:city, Location:state … linked fields in my list.  I've tried to add the location column in all 3 major browsers but it still doesn't work. Is there some trick to making it work?

Thanks

Pam J.missingtypeProperty.JPG 

I was testing this out in my tenant today. The option to add Location is there and I can link it to the other field but when I do a search I just get the spinning blue circle. I there something else I need to enable to get search results in the location field?

Annotation 2020-04-30 103959.jpg

@James Jackson What is XML schema for Loaction field? How can we add it using code.

Thanks

Sachin

I have tried this in SPFx and the concept for REST API is also the same. 
https://sp.harshagracy.com/2020/07/save-location-details-to-sharepoint.html

@James Jackson not sure if this has been covered but any idea if this feature is coming to GCC High environments? Due to the restrictions in the gcc environments, is it possible?

Thanks

Apps are becoming available that provide integration of SharePoint with Google Maps / Bing Maps. For example here. The GPS location details can be automatically extracted from images during uploading. Alternatively, geotagging can be used to set location details for files without GPS coordinates. Items can then be shown on a map with a preview plus metadata.

These apps can be used without adding web parts, custom scripts etc..

Paul | SLIM Applications

I noticed i have issues when I try to do power automate flow and it will not pick up the dynamic content in the flow form the list with the location column, will Microsoft be fixing this limitation?
Is this feature not available in GCC? I can't find any reliable information on it at all, and it's not on the roadmap.
When I select the location type in the add column menu, it reloads the page and the Location option disappears from the column types. It shows up again if I select another type when the page refreshes. But it disappears every time I select it. Do I need to enable a feature somewhere???

The location field is great, but the Coordinates part of this data does not appear as Dynamic Content in MS Flow.

How can I add this data into a Flow solution, that is just sending an email to a recipient?

@Kls987 

I too would like to know if this is on a roadmap for GCC. I've checked.. nothing there yet.

@aakashdmaurya I have this same issue. Did you find a solution or workaround to standardize the display of US v United States?

@James Jackson 

I've added locations for all my personnel; however, the column doesn't show the input.  I see the columns in my spreadsheet; but no entries show.  How do I get the information to show on the screen?

@James Jackson oops! it doesn't work