Add an App = Microsoft Lists?

Iron Contributor

I haven't had to create any task lists or contact lists for a while. When I went to add an App to find a task list in a SharePoint Online site, I was pleasantly and unpleasantly surprised to see that the options were now the exact same options I get if I create a Microsoft List personally or in Microsoft Teams. I love the new MS List templates - that we all know are just SharePoint lists. However, I wanted to create a task list and there isn't a template for a task list. I realized that I needed to create a contact list also and there isn't a template for a contact list.

Now, a day or two later, I finally found the text link that says I can link to the "classic experience."

Karen_D17_0-1629826804822.png

That took me to what I originally expected to see when I wanted to add a new list to my SharePoint site.

Karen_D17_1-1629826928707.png

The fact that it says "Exit Classic Experience" concerns me. Has anyone heard how long these lists will be available to us in SharePoint Online? I try to keep up on these things, but haven't seen or heard anything about our "classic" lists going away. Will these be available until there is a modern list template replacement available?

1 Reply
Well,
Long or short story here let's say...but the summary and official message is that Microsoft has not discontinued the classic experience yet, but on the other hand all the efforts are around modern lists so it's a question of time (in my opinion) that the classic experiences will be completely removed from SPO