Add an AD group to a SharePoint List User/Group column

Brass Contributor

Hi

I've got a SharePoint List with a Person or Group column.

I'd like to select a specific AD list as a SharePoint group in order to limit the people who can be added.

What is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

13 Replies

Go into List Settings, then choose your People column and set the 'choose from' option to a Group. You can create a new SharePoint Group and populate the members.  

You can add your AD group in a SharePoint group which will work perfectly to grant access to your AD group users. But if you limit a People picker column to this SharePoint group, it cannot read individual users in AD group. Whole AD group can be selected if selecting groups is enabled in your people picker column.

@Bharath Arja good point, I had forgotten about that. I did someone thing similar where I had a script extract members from an AD group and add users individually to a SharePoint Group. I haven't tried, but I think you could do the same thing with the Office Graph API and Power Automate.

Thanks all, it's looking like it was an issue with me having access to Site Permissions (I'd been assured several time I had full access).

I've put my AD list in the group - however, it's not showing anyone who's in that

I've selected the "people and groups" radio button, along with my SharePoint Group

@Lee-Martin Did you add Azure AD group directly inside SharePoint group? and the SharePoint group is added to person or group column settings?

If yes, you cannot directly search the users in nested (Azure AD) group like this. You might be able to search the whole AD group using group name but you cannot select the users inside it.

You need to add all users directly inside SharePoint group to select it in person or group column.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Ah ok, so I literally have to add every user by email?

@Lee-Martin Yes, correct.

Either you have to manually add all AD group users to SharePoint group OR you have to build custom solution (maybe using PowerShell or Power automate) which will read all users of AD group & add them one by one to SharePoint group.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Wow...this is a terrible solution on Microsoft's part! I need to be able to restrict a sharepoint column to users who are in a large dynamic AD group. There's no way I'm adding and managing 350 individual users to create a NEW sharepoint group. There's really no other solution Microsoft has that could make use of existing AD groups???

@MA512 No, above is the limitation as per the current design by Microsoft. 

You can add new feedback/idea on SharePoint feedback portal and request for new feature supporting Azure AD groups in person or group columns: SharePoint feedback portal 

can you help me how to  power automate will read all users of AD group & add them one by one to SharePoint group ,@ganeshsanap 

@ShivamG950 You can get Azure AD group members using "Get group members" action in Azure AD connector.

Then you can use Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action to add users to SharePoint group or you can add directly Azure AD security to SharePoint permissions like shown here: SharePoint Online: Grant Permissions to Azure AD Security group using Power Automate and REST API 

Thanks for this, but I want to add all users list of AD group in Sharepoint permissions group so we use that sharepoint group use in Person data type sharepoint list column.@ganeshsanap