SOLVED

Accessibility Question: Marking images on modern pages as "decorative" (no alt text needed)?

Steel Contributor

When adding images to Modern pages in SharePoint, the alt text is really easy to enter, but there are certain images that may not need alt text. For example, a footer image just used for decorative purposes. In fact, most applications (Word, for example) let you mark images a "decorative" so that screen readers bypass them. Is there a means of doing that in the Modern experience? It would be great if the experience was the same as in Word or PowerPoint (a simple "Mark as decorative" checkbox).

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Chad_V_Kealey (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

Having done a lot of accessibility checking on PowerPoint's recently, I am in total agreement with this. Having tested, there is no 'Mark as Decorative' box currently for Images in Modern Pages. So I have raised a uservoice here

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/38938915-mark-as-...

Linking back to this. I would recommend voting and getting others too in order to push this up the agenda. As you say, it needs consistency but will also offer a better experience

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

Thanks, @Christopher Hoard .  I'm surprised there wasn't already a suggestion for that in Uservoice. I never remember to check there before posting questions here. In any case, I'll also nag the SP folks at Ignite next week. Clearly, the function isn't there already, unless it's really well hidden (which is possible). 

I will too if I run into them - come say high at one of my sessions, or on the Teams booth Monday/Thursday AM, or MS Learn Tues/Fri AM :D

Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chad_V_Kealey (Steel Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

Having done a lot of accessibility checking on PowerPoint's recently, I am in total agreement with this. Having tested, there is no 'Mark as Decorative' box currently for Images in Modern Pages. So I have raised a uservoice here

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/38938915-mark-as-...

Linking back to this. I would recommend voting and getting others too in order to push this up the agenda. As you say, it needs consistency but will also offer a better experience

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

View solution in original post