Access has been blocked by Conditional Access policies.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have added an new user outside our organisation.    When he tries to login he gets this screen:

Robertls6_0-1655531740494.png

If I look in the admin portal I see this:

Access has been blocked by Conditional Access policies. The access policy does not allow token issuance.

Anyone who can help me whats wrong?   thanks in advance!

13 Replies
You better look at the sign-in log here for more details. But most likely this external user doesn't meet your set conditional access policy requirements.

https://aad.portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade/SignIns

@ChristianJBergstrom 

thanks for yuor reply.  I did that, but does not give me any more info on what is wrong, see snapshot.

Robertls6_0-1655638678529.png

Any idea?

@Robertls6 You have to look at the details.

ChristianJBergstrom_0-1655648463316.png

@ChristianJBergstrom 

It does not give me any more info.  I doe see the user uses a Mac.  This might me an issue ? 

Robertls6_0-1655649028340.png

Robertls6_1-1655649167383.png

Gr Robert

Could be. It’s blocked due to your conditional access policies. Go through them to sort it out.

@ChristianJBergstrom 

So I tried to log in on another Macbook.  Worked fine.

I searched the Azure detals and found that this keeps happening:

Robertls6_0-1655751206635.png

The "control elements" keep getting blocked. 

Still not sure what this means

@Robertls6 Did this every get resolved as I have the same scenario / issue with security defaults.

Yes I called the helpdesk of MS. Not sure what they did but eventually I turned of the two way authentication for that particulair personsaccount

This is what happens when security defaults are enabled.

Requiring all users to register for Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication.
Requiring administrators to do multifactor authentication.
Requiring users to do multifactor authentication when necessary.
Blocking legacy authentication protocols.
Protecting privileged activities like access to the Azure portal.

My guess here is the legacy protocols.

In general, when using conditional access policies, they should be analyzed before turning them on, such as "report-only" mode to see what will happen. Let's say you have apps that doesn't support modern authentication, or your environment is enabled for modern authentication, if you then disable all legacy protocols... another example could be trying to sign in from a location that isn't specified in the trusted locations in the CA policy and so on.

To be able to configure CA policies though one cannot use Azure AD free (security defaults) as Azure AAD P1 is required.

@Robertls6 Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes this is my fall back.

However just waiting on user feedback as I found the user on the risky users page as they have been making a mess of the 2FA sign up and I think security defaults now has some rule in there around that type of behaviour. 

"My guess here is the legacy protocols". Possibly, however they can sign-in to other accounts on the same tenant.
see my previous reply I did ended up finding the user on the risky sign-in page though as they had been trying to avoid the auth app requirement. So this is my suspicion although you'd never know this from looking anywhere in the logs, I just went hunting and found the user listed.
I've removed them and waited a short while before asking the user to try again.

Oh yeah P1 / P2 the licence MS does not know what to do with.
I currently have a small essay with my reseller asking them how the heck we are supposed to be licencing these as things keep disappearing behind the you need a P1 licence for that and the licence terms so so unclear as to who needs what.
Bear in mind accounts and sign-ins does not equal protocols or apps being used. From the above screenshot its security defaults involved there too, meaning it's one of those auto-policies that blocks, hence my legacy protocol guess (and they are quite many). Also, security defaults require registering for MFA within 14 days. After registration Azure AD decides when a user will be prompted for multifactor authentication, based on factors such as location, device, role and task.

Feel free to update the conversation when/if you find the solution.

Adding this for reference https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/conditional-access/block-legacy-authenticat...

OK I experienced the same issue - turned out the user was trying to login from a VPN and AAD didn't like the IP address. 

Hopped off the VPN and everything was fine.

@Robertls6