SOLVED

Access Denied when sharing folders

Brass Contributor

We have been using Sharepoint365 for projects and have different folders shared with vendors for some time, but now all our external users are getting "Access Denied" when trying to access the folders.

I have tried to share a folder with myself (private mail) and I get to login with my mail and a temporary code, but then I get "Access Denied".

I have tried to look through all settings, but can't see that anything should be changed.

7 Replies
Is this for all sites? Or just one site?
This is for all sites and for all external users in different organizations.

Hi @Lars Bo Wassini,

Is this continuing to happen? If so, can you send me a private message so we can troubleshoot further? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Hi Stephen Thanks for your offer, but I found the problem. I'll describe the solution shortly :)
best response confirmed by Lars Bo Wassini (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Ok! I found the problem! Well... Actually Microsoft Support helped me with this.

It seems that another part of our organization indeed had changed the setting without telling us in IT.

Solution:

In the "Site setting", "Site Collection Administration", "Site collection features" the "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" must NOT be activated.

This setting is automatically activated when the "SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" feature is activated.

@Lars Bo Wassini, glad to hear it! Thanks for updating!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Nice. This solved my issue. I was unable to share-externally on any new SPO site I was creating as a standalone (non team site). I encountered this starting about summer of 2018 and never resolved it. My old sites still worked, so just used them. Now we can start externally-sharing on new sites. Life is good! Yea!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Lars Bo Wassini (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Ok! I found the problem! Well... Actually Microsoft Support helped me with this.

It seems that another part of our organization indeed had changed the setting without telling us in IT.

Solution:

In the "Site setting", "Site Collection Administration", "Site collection features" the "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" must NOT be activated.

This setting is automatically activated when the "SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" feature is activated.

View solution in original post