SOLVED

SharePoint SE SQL compatibility issue

Copper Contributor

HI,

I am setting up a new instance of SharePoint Subscription Edition.  I am having issues with getting past the the Configuration Wizard connection to the database.  I have SQL Server 2019 on Server 2019, version 15.0.2000.5 (64 bit) and am getting the error message:

paulororke_0-1645745726595.png

According to this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/software-requirements-for-database-servers-for-s... 150 is a supported version.  It is 64 bit:

paulororke_1-1645745862518.png

and I have set "Max Degree of Parallelism" to 1.

Any ideas what I should be looking for to resolve this?

Please and thanks

5 Replies

Hi @paulororke, note the additional requirement in that article about needing to at least be on Cumulative Update 5 (CU5) of SQL Server 2019.  Once you update SQL Server 2019 to CU5 or later, you should be able to proceed.

SharePoint Server Subscription Edition supports the following database versions:

@Troy Starr 

Thanks Troy,

Regards Windows Updates, the Server was fully patched before attempting this. I downloaded that CU5 anyway and tried running it but SQL Server reports that it is older than what is already installed:

"A SQL Server update with a higher version has already been installed on SQL Server instance <no instance name>, so the current SQL Server update cannot be applied. The version of the SQL Server update that is already installed is GDR 15.0.2080.9(15.0.4083.0) with a KBKB4583458 and the current SQL Server update is 15.0.4043.16 with a KBKB4552255."

paulororke_0-1646342944055.png

Yet it reports an older "version".  

It seems to be looking to the wrong version number.  I am not at all sure where to take this.

Thanks for your help thus far.

best response confirmed by paulororke (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @paulororke, thanks for the additional updates.  SharePoint is looking at the version number reported by the ProductVersion server property, which is what's displayed in the "Version" field of the server properties page for that server instance.  You can also get this value by running this SQL statement: SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')

What you're seeing is interesting and potentially a side effect of having both GDR updates (which only contains security fixes) and CU updates (which contains security fixes but also includes bug fixes and feature improvements) for SQL Server installed.  This may be because this particular GDR patch was released after CU5.  The solution may be to install a CU patch that was released after that GDR patch.  Per Latest updates for SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs, the latest CU is CU15 (KB5008996 - Cumulative Update 15 for SQL Server 2019).  Give CU15 a try and let us know if you're still having issues.

Thanks @Troy Starr 

You nailed it. Installing CU15 directly allowed the installation to proceed.

Thanks very much for this.

@paulororke  I have same problem could you please tell me what exactly should do. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by paulororke (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @paulororke, thanks for the additional updates.  SharePoint is looking at the version number reported by the ProductVersion server property, which is what's displayed in the "Version" field of the server properties page for that server instance.  You can also get this value by running this SQL statement: SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion')

What you're seeing is interesting and potentially a side effect of having both GDR updates (which only contains security fixes) and CU updates (which contains security fixes but also includes bug fixes and feature improvements) for SQL Server installed.  This may be because this particular GDR patch was released after CU5.  The solution may be to install a CU patch that was released after that GDR patch.  Per Latest updates for SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs, the latest CU is CU15 (KB5008996 - Cumulative Update 15 for SQL Server 2019).  Give CU15 a try and let us know if you're still having issues.

View solution in original post