SOLVED

Feature request: Now that Explorer View is back in Edge for SPO, can we get that for Server too?

Copper Contributor

I'm a bit late to the game – I just found out that Edge v93+ re-introduced the previously IE/Active X-only feature Explorer View/"View in File Explorer" for SharePoint Online back in Nov 2021.

Microsoft, could we please get this in Edge for SharePoint Server too? There are many corporate customers who would be very happy!

Thank you for considering it. =)

5 Replies

@Green_Arrow I will suggest you to create a new idea/feedback for this on SharePoint feedback portal.

Other users can vote & support your idea on this portal. 

Related read: SharePoint Online: View in File Explorer available in Microsoft Edge 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Done, thanks a lot for the tip! :smile:

Feature request: Now that Explorer View is back in Edge for SPO, can we get that for Server too?
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/9061bd5b-d417-ed11-a81b-6045bd7d68ae

best response confirmed by Green_Arrow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Green_Arrow 

This feature is not on the Edge roadmap (link) and may take quite some time before it is available assuming Microsoft accepts the request. "Do not hold your breath"

In the interim period you may want to look at alternatives (see list with tools and some are browser-based example).
Not sure which on-premise SharePoint version you use. If you use SharePoint 2016 or earlier you may want to look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/install-previous-sync-app
If you have SharePoint 2019 you may want to look at the OneDrive for Business client.

@Green_Arrow Voted on the feedback/idea!

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi Paul, thanks for replying!

Yes, I'm not expecting any swift response, but I just wanted to let Microsoft know there's still a need for this on-prem. And now that the work with Edge is done for SPO, half the work is probably already done... :)

We are actually using a pretty easy workaround that is available even if IE has been fully removed: one can just copy the SharePoint URL and paste it into File Explorer - and voilá, you have a WebDAV connection to your SharePoint Server location. It just requires some end user training in larger organizations.

Thanks for the tip about the 3rd party tool Slim Explorer, it definitely looks capable. Will keep this as an option in discussions.

Also, I know Microsoft is promoting OneDrive as the replacement for "Open in Explorer", but it's a lot more work and it may be overkill in certain scenarios. It requires software rollout, for one, and in many bigger organizations, a substantial amount of user training would be required as well.

I think Microsoft realized all of the above... and that's why WebDAB is back with a vengeance in Edge + SPO – and this time with no ActiveX required. :o)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Green_Arrow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Green_Arrow 

This feature is not on the Edge roadmap (link) and may take quite some time before it is available assuming Microsoft accepts the request. "Do not hold your breath"

In the interim period you may want to look at alternatives (see list with tools and some are browser-based example).
Not sure which on-premise SharePoint version you use. If you use SharePoint 2016 or earlier you may want to look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/install-previous-sync-app
If you have SharePoint 2019 you may want to look at the OneDrive for Business client.

View solution in original post