Unique id in title / column

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a knowledge database in Microsoft List / Sharepoint.
I would like when my colleagues creates and knowledge article the title gets an unique title / ID.

For exampel:
Title: KB0000001

And when the next person creates an article the title will be default be KB0000002 and so on and so on.
Think you get the point, but how do I do it? :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Any bright brains out here that can help me?

Best regards,

wahlbang

3 Replies

@wahlbang 

Which version of SharePoint you are using? 

This is not possible using SharePoint out of the box capabilities. So, you will need custom solution for this. 

You will need to get the last SharePoint list item created and then use it as a reference to create Title of new item.

If you are using SharePoint server (classic) then you achieve this using JavaScript & REST API OR If you are using SharePoint Online then you can do this using Power Apps customized form or you can update list item with new Title using Power Automate after article creation.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

I'm using Sharepoint online (Microsoft Lists), so I guess either Power apps or Power automate, what would be the smartest to use here?

@wahlbang 

If you want to show the unique article Title to users on list form (while creating new item in list/before submitting new article), you have to do that with Power Apps customized form.

Or if you want to create the unique article Title after item creation then you can use Power Automate. So, when user will create a new item in list they will not see the unique article title immediately. It will be updated and shown in list view after Power Automate flow completes.

Now, you can choose between Power Apps or Power Automate based on your requirements and user understanding.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.