SOLVED

Unable to update .cs file with Visual Studio 2017

Copper Contributor

Trying to update a .cs file.  Visual Studio says need to get the Office Developer Tools.  This takes me to a page to update Visual Studio 2015 Office tool.  I've already installed the Office Developer Tools for 2017.  

When I try and install Office Developer tools 2015 it states I should install Visual Studio Community edition.  Visual Studio 2017 pro is installed now.

4 Replies

Here's what's installed now.Capture.PNG

The .cs file is in SharePoint 2016 on premise.

best response confirmed by js list (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you have visual studio 2015 installed on the same machine?

Can you check if your .csproj file has line below , remove the line and reload the project?

<MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>14.6</MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>

If you're still having problems opening the project, be sure Visual Studio Tools for Office are installed for Visual Studio 2017. You can install them by opening Visual Studio Installer, modifying your installation, checking "Office/SharePoint Development" and then being sure "Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO)" is selected under "Optional" on the right

Thanks this seemed to have worked. 

Only Visual Studio 2017 is installed on the machine.  And the 2017 office tools were installed.  Removing <MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>14.6</MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>

allowed me to open the .cs file.

JS

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by js list (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you have visual studio 2015 installed on the same machine?

Can you check if your .csproj file has line below , remove the line and reload the project?

<MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>14.6</MinimumOfficeToolsVersion>

If you're still having problems opening the project, be sure Visual Studio Tools for Office are installed for Visual Studio 2017. You can install them by opening Visual Studio Installer, modifying your installation, checking "Office/SharePoint Development" and then being sure "Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO)" is selected under "Optional" on the right

View solution in original post