Unable to edit Sharepoint list item - Invalid date-time value

Copper Contributor



I've run into a weird problem with one of my Sharepoint lists. When trying to edit any field in said list, I get the following error: Invalid date-time value.


The only "Date and time" columns in my list are the default Created and Modified columns. When I added these fields to the list view the dates are in the following format: 2022-10-27T09.09.14Z


I have added a new item to the list on 27.10.2022 and had no problems adding that, so this issue is pretty new. Other lists can be edited on the site just fine, and their Created/Modified Columns are displayed in a different format (Yesterday, May 9 etc..).


Any clues as to what could be causing this issue or how to fix it would be appreciated. I would've included pictures, but am unable to post them (probably because I've just signed up).


Thanks in advance,


17 Replies
Hi There

Just wondering whether you figured out a fix for this as I'm experiencing the same.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I still haven't figured out a fix for this issue. Some of the lists on my site work fine and others don't. A colleague of mine was able to make the edits necessary back in November, but the issue persists for me.

As far as I can tell there is no difference between the lists that work properly and the ones that don't. Hopefully there is someone out here that could help find a solution to this issue.




Has anyone found a fix to this Sharepoint list issue? I have been having the same issues since November 2022 and it is now February 2023 and still having the same issues with date entries randomly showing error messages for Error: Invalid date-time value.

@CBranch in my case this seems to be related to the automatic "Created" date column, it somehow fritzes out like this: 2022-09-14T10.03.50Z.


It does not seem to be possible to edit this column.

I have reported this issue to service health and linked this thread, hopefully something will come out of it.
Did you ever find a resolution? Users are experiencing this on 1 list after migrating from SP2013 to SharePoint Online.
I'm also getting this with a particular list when I try to update existing items. The list does not contain any date/time columns other than automatically generated ones.

This seems to come and go. I was just now able to finally update an item, after adding a new item to the list first.
Has the issue been fixed?
I'm experiencing the same problem.



This problem seems to still occur. We did some local troubleshooting and at least found a workaround - "Return to classic Sharepoint"-button in the bottom left corner of the list will take you to classic experience, where editing seems to be possible without the date/time values interrupting.

Something that we found out:
- Automatic date column "Modified" is causing the problem. When you edit a list item, you automatically input the modified date/time value in wrong format. You can find the error by scrolling up, after you've failed to edit the list item
--> Tried to change date/time settings from user settings, as well as Site settings and List settings, none of that worked.

- This happens randomly, but mainly to the same users with same local settings. For us, the issue occurs with a list that is edited by users from various time zones and with various date/time settings. 

- Sometimes closing browser/restarting PC has solved it, but not always

Switch to Sharepoint Classic Mode and that will solve the issue.

Have you checked the regional settings in SharePoint? Sometimes mismatches can cause such errors. Also, ensuring consistency in date formats across the site might help resolve this and you can find it here VAT Refund.

Problem solved - I was able to save a problematic item after editing it in classic SharePoint mode. It then works in "modern" mode.


Thanks @DominiqueGire and @beeksii for a workaround!

@aapok Another work around is to clear all sharepoint and office cookies. I don't have the option to switch to classic mode, but clearing cookies always works for me whenever Lists starts acting weird.

@aapokwe have the same issue frequently appearing. Switching to classic mode works as a workaround but it's not really a solution as this shouldn't appear in the first place. I'm wondering if anybody has found the root cause for this? And is there a way to avoid this issue altogether?


To me this seems to relate to the fact that people might have different regional settings and in our case it started to affect us once we changed the site number format to Finnish style. It appears to me that somehow sharepoint's modern version is unable to interpret the date formats automatically.

@Juho_Risku Still haven't found a solution 1,5 years later. The only thing that has worked for me has been clearing the cookies, this fixes the issue until it pops up again.

@aapokThanks. It's a bit disappointing, as this seems to be a clear bug on the Sharepoint side... hopefully someone at Microsoft end picks this up at some point.

@aapok Clearing cookies works for me as well. To make it easier, I configured Edge to clear all SharePoint, Powerxxx, Office365 and msftauth related cookies on exit: Settings->Cookies and Site Permissions->Manage and Delete cookies...->Clear on Exit. This automatically resets the environment every time I quit working for the day. You will have to sort through your list of saved cookies to find the relevant URL's. The setting also supports a wildcard [*.] (braces included) at the beginning of the URL to clear everything from that domain. Example: [*.]powerautomate.com.