The required feature is not enabled for this column type error when creating taxonomy column

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a new taxonomy (managed metadata) column in SharePoint online. However, I am facing below error when try to select term set for this column.

The required feature is not enabled for this column type. 

I have tried this on both team sites and communication sites. I also don't see any OOTB managed metadata columns such as Enterprise Keywords present in the site collection.

Is this an issue with my tenant? 

6 Replies

@mohandivraniya Have you checked if your able to access term store manager?

Yes, I was able to access term store manager.
The behavior is very weird. Today, when i checked again, term store management link is now available and I am able to create managed metadata columns. I didn't provide any extra permission or enabled any settings/features.

@mohandivraniya probably service was down yesterday when you tried, you can ask your Tenant Admin to check more on this

@mohandivraniya I have the same issue on newly created modern sites. On one tenant it works, on another - not. Also I can't add SharePoint add-in

2019-10-14 (6).png

I've also seen this issue today on a demo tenant that I've provisioned. Managed Metadata service is running and has terms available, but can't use the Managed Metadata column type in a document library

I'm stuck with this today on my developer tenant (targeted release) in a modern team site:

image.png

Unexpected.

Edit:

The solution was to enable the missing feature using PnP PowerShell:

Enable-PnPFeature 73EF14B1-13A9-416b-A9B5-ECECA2B0604C -Scope Site -Force

Now if this is the recommended approach I don't know...