SOLVED

The Business Data Connectivity Metadata store is currently unavailable. (External SharePoint List)

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to create an external SharePoint list to a SQL Table (Done this before). However, when trying to complete the step of External Content Type I am having no luck

Connecting to SharePoint Online through the Designer tool then navigating to External Content Types is not working for me. 

I first get:

The Business Data Connectivity Metadata store is currently unavailable.

Then I get the following when clicking "External Content Type":

The HTTP Service located at https://<org>.sharepoint.com/_vti_bin/BDCAdminService.svc is unavailable. This could be because the service is too busy or because no endpoint was found listening at the specified address. Please ensure that the address is correct and try accessing the service again later. (The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by myke_deabreu (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No much we can do here to help you, just open a support ticket reporting the issue so Microsoft support folks can help you...one side note: BCS is one of the SPO services that has not been modified for a while and it's not clear what it's going to happen with it so if you can use other ways to integrate external data, I would recommend to go for them

@Juan Carlos González MartínThanks Juan. The problem was on Microsoft's side they actually have a notification message in the Info centre. Their support was really quick getting back to me (5min) after putting a ticket in through the portal.

Do you know any other method of pulling a table from Azure SQL to populate a SharePoint column without using BCS?

@myke_deabreu one option could be you can use Power Automate to connect to Azure SQL and then update the SharePoint list with required data.

Is there any Microsoft article which mentioned "The Business Data Connectivity Issue"?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by myke_deabreu (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No much we can do here to help you, just open a support ticket reporting the issue so Microsoft support folks can help you...one side note: BCS is one of the SPO services that has not been modified for a while and it's not clear what it's going to happen with it so if you can use other ways to integrate external data, I would recommend to go for them

View solution in original post