SharePoint Online Command Bar missing "Page Details" link on pages for Read Only Permissions

Copper Contributor

We have users who have read only permissions setup in SharePoint Online (see graphic below).  When they are on a page, in the command bar the link for "Page Details" is missing.  They need to be able to get to the page details so they can click on the link for "Version History".  Why does the "Page Details" link not show up for "Read Only" permissions?ReadOnlyPermissions.JPG

3 Replies

@CARichardson I have also observed the same behavior on our SharePoint site.

I think the page details option is not available by default for read-only users. Find more information about the page details at: View, edit, and add page details 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks for your reply ganeshsanap. If you look at this link on the Microsoft site, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/view-edit-and-add-page-details-778018d3-8269-4fd2-a55d-8c..., it says in read-only view you can click on Page Details. I would assume if they have it in their documentation, then it should (emphasis on should) be available for them to click on and use.

@CARichardson110 Yes, I also observed that line in documentation. But, it does not mention the read-only "permissions" instead it mentions read-only "view" of a saved or published page.

As per my testing, you need at least "Contribute" permissions to see the Page details option. This article also mentions (does not clearly mention who can see the page details option :unamused: :( Users with permission to author SharePoint pages will see...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.