SharePoint Designer Craziness

Copper Contributor

I am using SharePoint Designer 2013, when I try to add an external system in the external content type dialog, it adds the system I can browse databases and routines. If I try to browse views designer crashes.

I am using SharePoint 2019, SQL server 2017 and as stated Designer 2013.

I have had external systems pointed to the SQL server before successfully, and I can now point to an SQL server 2014 box and successfully create a new external system, just cannot do it to this 2017 server, and only fails for views.

Further previously when creating external system they were added to BCS with the name used in designer....eg. Add "Production 2017 - Database Name" showed up in BCS the same. Now "Production 2017 - Database Name" shows up in designer as "Production 2017 - Database Name" but in BCS it is named: "SharePointDesigner-Production 2017 - Database Name-65acbe56-708e-4def-ba8a-37b17f5b217e".

1 Reply

Installed new Win 7 box clean with Designer 2013 in case it was being caused by running Designer on Win 10. Same results, Designer crashes when I try to browse views on the database, but can successfully browse tables and routines. Could something be corrupted in BCS. I have used this database for awhile with other external types pointing to views in this database. The old external system is now deleted and all external types pointed bac to SQL Server 2014 until I fix this. Wonder if something is stuck from deleting the old definition of this external system?????