SharePoint 365 SPD Workflow Dictionary default date format issue

New Contributor

Hi All,

 

I'm building a SharePoint Designer workflow which uses the Call HTTP Web Service action.

 

I have a list that contains an optional date/time field called 'Deadline'.

I've added this field to a Dictonary using the Value Current Item: Deadline.

 

The action updates a list item.

 

When the Deadline field has been set by a user, the Update request parameters contain the following JSON:

 

"Deadline":"2017-03-30T23:00:00.0000000Z"

 

When the Deadline field has not been set, I can see that the Deadline feild is returned as null using...

 

..._api/web/lists/getbytitle('ListName')/items

 

<d:Deadline m:null="true" />

 

But, when the REST api Update request is built, the parameters Dictionary appears to be setting a default date. It appears thus in the JSON request...

 

"Deadline":"0001-01-01T00:00:00.0000000"

 

This causes the Update request to fail...

 

Response Content: {"error":{"code":"-2130575155, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFieldValueException","message":{"lang":"en-US","value":"Cannot complete this action.\u000a\u000aPlease try again."}}}

 

Response Code: BadRequest

 

Can anyone advise a way to mitigate this behaviour?

My attempts to check&react to the status of the Datetime field are unsuccessful.

 

 

Thanks,

Tony

2 Replies

Ok, not Ideal but...

 

If Current Item: Deadline is less than or equal to 01/01/2001 00:00:00
   Build {...} Dictionary(Output to Variable: Update_Parameters)
   ** but don't include the Deadline field as a parameter **
Else
   Build {...} Dictionary(Output to Variable: Update_Parameters) 
   ** but do include the Deadline field as a parameter **

 

Hope this helps someone.

 

It's great that you can copy/paste the Build Dictionary actions within SPD.

It's a shame they empty their contents as thay are copied.

 

By the way...

I'm doing this as moving Document Sets with the REST api (...folder/MoveTo(newUrl))turns them into regular folders.

i.e. they lose their Content Type Id in transit.

 

Once, I've moved them, I update them with correct Content Type and the properties of the original.

Which reverts them back to the Documents Set I expect.

 

Cheers,

Tony

@Tony Hignett I've come across this too.  Could have sworn it was working before without requiring the workaround.

 

As I had multiple date\time fields, I chose to remove all of them from the main dictionary.  Then I created a dictionary per date\time field and ran the REST call inside each IF statement.  Too bad there is no way to dynamically add fields to a Dictionary