SharePoint 2013 external sharing

Copper Contributor

We have a requirement wherein we would want to share a SharePoint 2013 on-premise site collection to external users (i.e. outside the organization).

What are the different options available currently for external sharing of SP2013 sites?

The SP2013 site will have some webparts that will connecting to other on-premise systems, would this be automatically handled in any of the options for external sharing?

Thanks!

6 Replies
You can configure SharePoint to use different authentication methods so users living in different credentials stores can log into SharePoint....a good start for you is just to read how to configure forms based authentication for SharePoint 2013: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ptsblog/2013/09/20/configuring-sharepoint-2013-forms-based-authe...

Thanks!

However, we don't want to provide an additional authentication option for our users in on-premise, but instead expose the site collection to be shared and accessed by our partners.

Believe, implementing FBA alone will not provide any provisions to enable sharing outside organization network. Moreover this requires creating and storing user information in our own repositories (SQL server in thes case) while there are already some identity providers available.

I am thinking, if there is mecahism to expose/share the on-premise SharePoint 2013 site to external partners via Azure AD or other identity providers (Okta, Ping Federated etc.)

FBA is just an example...if you do a deep search over the Internet, you can find some great resources about configuring authentication using Windows Live ID, Open ID or other providers

Yes correct. For example the following blog explains HOW TO SET UP MICROSOFT LIVE ID AS AN AUTHENTICATION PROVIDER FOR SHAREPOINT 2013 ON PREMISE

http://blog.crgroup.com/how-to-set-up-microsoft-live-id-as-an-authentication-provider-for-sharepoint...

However, it uses Azure ACS, which I believe is not supported now. So am looking for a more recent recent and best approach to the same...

Take a look at Witor Willen posts around this
Can you please share if you are referring to any specific blogs from Wictor Willen