Sharepoint 2010 Workflow can no longer be published on Sharepoint 2013 for our Online site

Copper Contributor

Dear all, 

we run a SharePoint Online site, where we have a number of workflows (2010) running mainly to generate documents etc in our automated workflows. All has been working fine, till today, when we had some modifications we wanted to execute on some of the 2010 workflows. We are using Sharepoint designer 2013. When saving the workflow, there are no issues, but when we try to publish we get an error (see attached) [Unexpected error on server associating the workflow]

Skärmklipp 2019-03-11 10.37.18.png

Right now, we´re at a standstill, and I can not find any real relevant information online on this. Some "older" stuff on temporary files etc have been reviewed, but without success. 

Pretty desperate now to get some help - Everything is much appreciated. 

45 Replies
Hi, I have the same problem as mentioned early "Unexpected Error on server associating the workflow". I couldn't publish workflow when checked the condition (create/changed automatically). Could you help me with this issue or share some guidelines.
This original thread is about a specific issue that was caused by a failed Microsoft change that affected all Office 365 SharePoint instances, which is now resolved (and is still resolved for us).

If you have this error still, then it is caused by some other issue that isn't related to this thread.

@Nanovac_ABThis same issue has occurred again and I can no longer publish any SharePoint 2010 workflows (2 tried).  Is anybody else seeing this again ?? Didn't Microsoft learn from the first time??

Edit: If you are going to check then do it on a non-critical worfklow!  Don't break a critical workflow like I did.  The symptoms are the same - existing published workflows are fine, but trying to publish a new one will fail and break the existing one.

Hi @DenisCheong  - We have a message in our Service Health Dashboard:

Workflows 2010 issue
SP194864, SharePoint Online,
Last updated: November 6, 2019 2:44 PM
Start time: November 5, 2019 10:10 AM
User impact: Users may be unable to create new or edit existing workflows under Workflows 2010.

Hi @DenisCheong , we have the same issue.

the time it takes to solve this problem seems fatal to me

The last update:

Title: Workflows 2010 issue User Impact:

Users may be unable to create new or edit existing workflows under Workflows 2010.

More info: Users may receive the error(s): "Unexpected error on server associating the workflow," and "Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The Workflow files were saved but cannot run."

Users will experience relief as the activity progresses within the environment.

Current status: We've validated that the deployment is now progressing as expected and we’re monitoring its status to ensure it completes successfully.

Scope of impact: This issue may potentially affect any of your users attempting to create new or edit existing workflows within SharePoint Designer 2013, under Workflows 2010.

Start time: Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 9:23 AM (2:23 PM UTC)

Root cause: Our analysis identified that the infrastructure responsible for Workflows 2010 functionality contained a misconfiguration.

Next update by: Monday, November 11, 2019, 3:30 PM (8:30 PM UTC)