SOLVED

Remove the blank space between the out box web parts on SharePoint online page

Brass Contributor

Hi,

We are developing intranet using SharePoint online. Can we get suggestion to remove the blank spaces between out of box web parts added on SharePoint online home page. Please find the attached image for references.

Any suggestion or work around is appreciated.

Thank you 

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution

@mytech1982 There are no SharePoint out of the box options/settings to remove the spaces between two web parts in modern experience.

Best you can do is try adding both web parts in same "section" on page.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

We have recently migrated from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint Online and the pages were fine until I modified one (Content Editor web-part).  Suddenly there is a lot of white space between the web parts even though there is no additional spaces/carriage returns within the web-part itself.

This never occurred in SharePoint 2010 and now I am concerned that whenever I make a change to any other pages, the additional white space will appear, making the pages look unprofessional and requiring additional scrolling for the user.

Surely there is some resolution for this.

Cheers

Peter

@phanney01 Are you using classic experience pages and content editor web parts on SharePoint online sites?

Maybe you can add custom CSS via content editor web part to remove the blank space using CSS.

Please consider giving a Like if my post helped you in any way.

@ganeshsanap thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I am not sure whether we are using classic experience pages and content editor web parts on SharePoint online sites. I can say that when I click Edit Page, the look and feel is very similar to what I was used to in SharePoint 2010.

Also, I am not a technical person so am not sure how to use CSS as you have suggested.  

Cheers

Peter

@ganeshsanap This can technically work, but then in many instances the individual items are not focusable for keyboard users - classic aesthetics vs accessibility issue. This is true for many 'pre-templated' parts in the modern experience, including hero layers and quick links. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution

@mytech1982 There are no SharePoint out of the box options/settings to remove the spaces between two web parts in modern experience.

Best you can do is try adding both web parts in same "section" on page.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post