RefinableString Property empty

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Support said I should open a discussion here since he can't help me with this problem.. so I try it here and hope someone will help me.

On our tenant I've configured the RefinableString00 (more than 4 weeks ago) with the crawled property osw_SiteName. The RefinableString00 returns null for all sites. If I manually reindex a Site the managed property gets the correct value. But we have a lot of sites and can not do this manually so I think the Search-Enginge for our tenant is broken.

Thanks so far,

Jan

4 Replies
Mhm... no, i think that is how it works....

The objects of the other sites were not changed, so the reindex-job was not started for them. So it never added the crawled property to the "new" refinable string. That only happens if the object/file itself is re-indexed.

Re-indexing each sitecollection will solve that problem and might be the only solution.

You can do that for a single site collection with PnP Powershell and the cmdlet "Request-PnPReIndexWeb" (https://pnp.github.io/powershell/cmdlets/Request-PnPReIndexWeb.html).

You will have to do that in a loop for each SiteCollection (You get all sitecollections with "Get-SPOSite -Filter { Url -like '*/sites*' } -Limit All")

@SvenSieverding Thx for your reply Sven. But does SPO not fullcrawl and re-index automatically at least after 24 hours?

Otherwise managed properties won't work at all without manually re-indexing, or do I miss something.

Also on my dev-tenant and all other tenants I have access to it works fine and I do not have to re-index anything because SPO at some point does a fullcrawl.

Greetings

Jan

@Jan Hennemann wrote:

@SvenSieverding Thx for your reply Sven. But does SPO not fullcrawl and re-index automatically at least after 24 hours?
Otherwise managed properties won't work at all without manually re-indexing, or do I miss something.

@Jan Hennemann 
yes, that is correct.... but in my experience a full crawl in SharePoint Online happens sometime between 2 hours to several days.... not exactly every 24 hours.... (I think a once waited more than a week until a gave up and re-indexed manually)  

@SvenSieverding yes but I waited already more than 4 weeks.. I'm afraid that for every new site or after renaming a site the Refinablestring won't get update automatically (after some time). So re-indexing all existing sites will maybe fix my current problem but not potential future problems.