Recommend development strategy for customised application in SharePoint

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

My company is currently exploring to shift our legacy in-house applications (e.g. HR, Invoicing, CRM) from IIS web application to SharePoint 2019.

Some features of our in-house applications:

- CRUD activities

- Routine task implemented as scheduled tasks / window services

- Workflow approval

- Using 3rd party components like DevExpress 

- Emailing and reporting

I have been googling around for a while but is unable to find any useful info on any good options except SP provider-hosted options.

Can any experts here recommend which development path I should adopt for SharePoint development? Or whether SharePoint is a suitable platform for complex customized application development?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

TIJ

3 Replies

@TIJ_POC If you are trying to develop applications for modern experience in SharePoint 2019, check SharePoint Framework documentation 

Also, I think SharePoint add-ins / apps are also supported for classic experience in SharePoint server 2019.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@TIJ_POC instead of SharePoint 2019, if you were to go with SharePoint Online then you have access to the whole range of the Office 365 apps working together, like Power Automate for flows, Power Apps for custom apps that reduce or eliminate external development, Forms for simple forms e.g. IT support tickets) all linking to SharePoint or Dataverse for Teams. Longer term I would have thought it's a better upgrade path. than 2019. But that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thanks for the reply.

Can I check, for a medium to large size projects (e.g. 50 - 80 aspx pg, approval flow and transaction based) is it advisable to use SP as a platform?

I personally think that SP is great for informational site and simple / small size projects.

But once the project becomes larger, then tasks of managing and integration may become an issue due the need to use other MS platforms / components (e.g. Automation flows, Power Apps, Forms, etc) to fulfill the requirements. Compare to the traditional web app, its more integrated as solution / business logic are within the same solution.

Btw, is there a comparable product in SP to use for Schedule services related activities like delay reporting? 

Regards